Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Agonizingly slow Windows 10 MSI Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 somethinspecial

somethinspecial

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

I've been doing all my Windows 10 updates like a good little consumer and every time I do it, my system gets slower and slower. How can I eliminate the unnecessary lags without screwing up my computer? Any help and advice is much appreciated.

MSI Laptop GE70 with Windows 10 (upgraded from 8)

I run Malwarebytes weekly

I use Avast Anti-virus and run scans weekly

Thanks,

Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

Were I you I would definitely take a full system image backup plus a separate user data files backup, then consider trying, in order:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10
  2. if #1 doesn't work, trying a clean boot (search this forum, how to do it is well documented) to see if that causes a sudden positive change, then find the culprit and eliminate it
  3. if #2 leads nowhere, from Settings, Update & Security, Recovery Pane do a Reset this PC using the "keep my files" option.  Know that you will have to reinstall any apps that aren't a part of Windows 10 as sent out from Microsoft.
  4. If #3 either fails to complete or doesn't help, from the same location, try a Reset this PC using the "wipe computer and start again" option.
  5. if #4 yields no results then download the Windows 10 ISO via the Windows Media Creation Tool, create bootable media, and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

Another option, which applies only if you're still on the Anniversary Update (Version 1607), is to try forcing the update to Creators Update (Version 1703) before it rolls out to your computer via Windows Update to see if that solves the problem.  I'm doubting it will but there have been times when, if the issue is corruption of some Windows component that gets replaced as part of a major update, doing this can fix things.  It's a crap shoot, but it's one you might want to try first then go through the list above, since any media that gets downloaded now is for the Creators Update anyway.   I forced my machine to go to Creators Update the first day it was out simply because I do tech support as part of my living and know that the next wave of calls is going to be related to Creators Update, whether getting it to install or some change or another that occurs as part of Creators Update being the version on the machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

There are some simpler things which may resolve some of these problems without taking the drastic measures suggested previously.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive the following message.

adwcleaner%20111_zpsiduqrrrp.png  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please download and install Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

De-fragment you mass storage if it is a hard disk drive.

Use the Disk Cleanup Tool.

Please download Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.

1. Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)

2. Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.

3. Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

tempfilecleaner1_zpsaaf9e118.png

4.  After Temp Flie Cleaner has run, click on Exit.

tempfilecleaner2_zpsdffa9226.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users