Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folders keep opening on their own, and Task Manager won't open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Moon_Dew

Moon_Dew

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Yesterday my computer started opening files on its own, specifically the following:

C:\WINDOWS\System32

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NvNode

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Any, for some odd reason, whenever I try to open the Task Manager, it closes almost instantly.

I've tried system restore, but that didn't work.  I've tried disk cleanup, but that didn't work either.  Windows Defender didn't find anything.  What's going on and how do I fix it?  This is annoying as all get out and I want it to stop!

Edited by Moon_Dew, 05 May 2017 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

Seems like you have some malware, which has infected your computer. Download, install & run Malwarebytes. It ought to clean up your computer.:)

#3 Moon_Dew

Moon_Dew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

Resolved!  Turns out there was a buggy program that was trying to start itself up.  Deleting that program seems to have solved it.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

Nice!:)
Hey, did you find the program by yourself or did Malwarebytes help you out?

Edited by Just_One_Question, 05 May 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Nice! :)

You need to be aware that tools like malwarebytes are not allowed to be used in the Windows Forums for security reasons.  If you are going to suggest the use of these tools you should suggest that the op open a topic in the Am I Infected Forum where there are members with a working knowledge of removing malware and the limited tools which can be used there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

You need to be aware that tools like malwarebytes are not allowed to be used in the Windows Forums for security reasons.  If you are going to suggest the use of these tools you should suggest that the op open a topic in the Am I Infected Forum where there are members with a working knowledge of removing malware and the limited tools which can be used there.
Hey. I did report this topic before I posted my first comment. I recommended it being moved to the more appropriate sub-forum, but it hasn't been moved yet.:)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

As I posted, there is no indication of malware in the first post.  My belief that there was no malware was substantiated in the op's second post.  A Moderator will review a topic before they will act on any suggestions.  It would appear that they too didn't see any indication that there was any malware.  Since the problem has been resolved you will not see this topic moved to the AII forum. :thumbup2: 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Moon_Dew

Moon_Dew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

After another System Restore I managed to open the Task Manager and found an .exe that was causing trouble before, one I honestly thought I already dealt with.  Well, now it's dealt with for good.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for telling us what fixed your problem, and, since nobody else has said it -

Welcome to BC !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users