Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with Windows Update Fail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AngelT

AngelT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:28 AM

Hi i purchased a HP desktop computer from Best buy about 3 years ago. Has been pretty good. except.. Around October last year (2016) a number of updates failed. Said needed to restart to complete but got error message:

"couldn't complete updates, undoing changes do not turn off your computer". 

This has been on a loop so to speak since. every 3 days it attempts to do the updates. Some, i see in update history say successful but most "FAILED". I also noticed another program that i installed in the beginning that will not update. says cant find path...or something (Paint.net).

Anyway, a friend who has worked for a tech shop in town stopped by to look and maybe see if he could fix it. no luck. He had some problem with the product key. got a tool to find it on my pc and it says its not valid. i recently tried to do something that asked me to input the product key and it said "Key don't work. Check it and try again or try a different key". I got this product key using 'cmd' so idk how it could be wrong. But maybe that's why the updates do not work.  No one has ever worked on or messed with this computer. Never any viruses or malware; i have ran several virus scans). No problems until this.

Any idea? Thank you.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:32 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Which version of Windows are you using?

#3 AngelT

AngelT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:30 AM

Hi, sorry i thought i did... i have windows 8.1 using Chrome Its a Pavilion Slim.  I also tried turning off the avast to see if that was blocking it.  Forgot to add i was in contact with HP and had some remote assistance, they said it probably needed to be reset to factory.  i am hoping there is another way before going that route.

Also, should add i just found another problem with "Microsoft Storage Space Controller" It sounded like the disk drive started clicking, like it was trying to start. Found a yellow triangle next to that device, ran a troubleshooter and it said  "microsoft storage space controller damaged or incomplete code 19" tried to fix, came back with: cannot be fixed needs to be re-installed. Also Updates configured to not automatically install drivers. I dont know if that last thing is good or bad lol.  sorry for all the added issues but thought maybe important to mention.

Again thanks in advance for any help. :)

Edited by AngelT, 07 May 2017 - 04:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users