Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Doesn't Recognize Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shomaker

shomaker

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

I just built a computer but the bios doesn't list the hard drives. The curious part is that the two hard drives are listed in the POST and in the RAID Configuration Utility. Obviously, I can't install an operating system because it doesn't see anyplace to install.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard - Intel BOXD97510J.86A.1304
CPU - Intel 6800 "Conroe" @ 2.93 GHz Core Duo
RAM - Four strips of Crucial @ 1 GB each
HARD DRIVES - 2 WD Raptor SATA 150 GB @ 10,000 rpm
VIDEO CARD(s) - nVidia 7950 GX2 - Dual 256 bit
SOUND CARD - Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
A CD burner and a DVD burner with Lightscribe
A combo floppy drive

All parts are "out of the box" new, everything powers up, I can format the hard drives from the RAID Configuration Utility (and did), I can set the BIOS to RAID, can combine the two physical drives into one Logical Drive to use a RAID0 array but the BIOS refuses to recognize the hard drives.

To recap:
1. The hard drives are listed in the POST.
2. The hard drives are listed in the RAID Configuration Utility.
3. I can format the hard drives and did.
4. I can create a RAID0 array.

Finally, why doesn't the BIOS see them and what can I do about it.

Thanks,

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:56 AM

Their listed in POST but not in BIOS... weird.

Are you able to enter the Windows setup program? You may need to press F6 (when prompted, look at the bottoom of the screen when the setup program is loading) to install special drivers for a RAID configuration.

#3 shomaker

shomaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have done, or observed, the following:

1. Windows setup does launch and I pressed the F6 key to load third party software.
2. I loaded the RAID drivers that came with the motherboard.
3. Neither Windows nor BIOS recognizes the hard drives.
4. I removed the RAID configuration, changed the BIOS setting and just used the drives as singles, but the BIOS didn't find the drives.
5. I disabled one of the drives at a time but BIOS didn't see the remaining drive.
6. SATA drives don't have jumpers, per se, so it can't be a jumper issue.
7. I can format the drives so they are receiving power and are connected.

Right now I have a very expensive and very big paper weight.

HELP!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

Have you tried setting the BIOS to auto detect for the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 shomaker

shomaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

In my BIOS, under the Advanced tab and Drive Configuration sub tab, there is a setting called ... Use Automatic Mode. I have this set as (Enable). I suppose this is the auto detect setting.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

I'm just guessing here, but I believe that the issue lies in the ability of the system to recognize the RAID array as a "single" drive.

So, I'd suspect that there was a problem with the mobo (since it's unlikely that both hard drives individually are bad). Can you RMA it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 shomaker

shomaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

I'm sorry but I don't know what RMA is.

Also, I did remove the RAID array so that the two hd's were individuals. I also unhooked the power from each hd, one at a time, and rebooted. The BIOS didn't recognize the hd's in any of these scenarios.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

After you uninstalled the raid array did you load the sata driver from the cd?

#9 shomaker

shomaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

I did reinstall the sata drivers after I unloaded the raid array. Still no luck!

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

I'm just guessing here, but I believe that the issue lies in the ability of the system to recognize the RAID array as a "single" drive.

So, I'd suspect that there was a problem with the mobo (since it's unlikely that both hard drives individually are bad). Can you RMA it?

I'll have to agree with usasma on this one, sounds like a bad MoBo to me.

RMA or Return Merchandise Authorization. That is, can your return the motherboard to the manufacturer for replacement or repair? :thumbsup:

#11 shomaker

shomaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

I just updated the BIOS to the latest available but that didn't resolve the issue. I will see if I can RMA the motherboard and let you know.

Alternatively, I am still ready to try any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

Do you have an ide drive around that you can connect to an ide cable to see if the bios recognizes it?

Also start in the most minimum configuration possible with only one stick of ram (two if specified as required by the Conroe processor's or the mb's instructions) and just your mouse, keyboard and monitor, cd drive and one hard drive connected. You can install other components after you get to a successful install.

You may have to remove everything from the case and try it on a non-conductive surface to rule out shorting to the case as well.

Make sure the sata drive is enabled in the bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users