Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Unable to See Window Server Or Shares

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

I have a Macbook that suddenly lost connection to a Window server, specially the window shares.

Mac is running OSX Sierra.

I can ping the server by IP Address and if I ping the entire name including the domain so "SERVERNAME.DOMAINNAME.LOCAL" but not "SERVERNAME".

We have rebooted the server and macbook.

We have turned off the firewall, no affected so turned it back on.

Macbook is on the WIFI and WIFI DNS is configured to point to the SERVER and also added to WINS.

I do see other desktops randomly showing up and disappearing on the NETWORK ICON list. If I try changing the workgroup in the WINS section, it affects what desktops/machines I see on the network on the Mac, I just don't see the window server listed there.

Any ideas why I can't connect to the server or even see it in the finder anymore.

Server is Windows server 2012.

Nothing was changed on either end that I am aware of.

I am unable to mapped the shares manually either by servername or IP address in "go to server" on the mac using SMB://

Edited by MasterNe0, 04 May 2017 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Have you tried creating another user account and seeing if you can connect through that new user account on the Mac? This would tell us if it likely something more "global" or maybe just something related to your current user account.

#3 MasterNe0

MasterNe0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

Have you tried creating another user account and seeing if you can connect through that new user account on the Mac? This would tell us if it likely something more "global" or maybe just something related to your current user account.

Not yet as this laptop isn't a company laptop, I don't want to try and create a new user unless I need to. Just wondering if their any other reasoning for this why I don't see the server at all from network icon.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

Not yet as this laptop isn't a company laptop, I don't want to try and create a new user unless I need to. Just wondering if their any other reasoning for this why I don't see the server at all from network icon.

I don't have a good reason for why, but that is the reason for potentially trying a new user account on the laptop. As I mentioned before, this would help determine if maybe it is something related to that user account on your laptop, NOT THE SERVER. There could be some corrupted system file or something else with that user account. If so, then creating a new user account should allow you to try mounting the server with no issue. If you have the same issues, then it is likely something more global either with your laptop or potentially with your employer's network.

Also, when you try to connect to the server, do you strictly use the Network icon under a Finder window? Or have you also tried the "Connect to Server..." command under the "Go" menu in the Finder? Personally, I have found that the latter option is the more consistent way to connect when I worked at a small company where I connected my personal MBA to the server. You will need to type in the full path for the server in the form of "SMB://[your_server_name]/[share_name_on_the_server]" (note: replace [your_server_name] and [share_name_on_the_server] with the appropriate information for your situation) In the future, that server should be listed when you go back to the "Connect to Server..." command's dialog box. The server shares from that company I mentioned are still listed on my Mac even though I have not worked for them in more than a year.

#5 MasterNe0

MasterNe0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

Done both the finder and the connect to server option.

Have tried both SMB://SERVERNAME/SHARE

and SMB://IPADDRESS/SHARE

said "cannot connect to server".

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Then my best thought still at this point is to create a new user account on the MacBook and see if that changes anything. My suspicion is that it will not, but it is still a good idea to try. As I said before, this will help determine if it is something related to your user account on the MacBook or something more "global" either with the MacBook or the work network side of things.

The next thought would be to try an ethernet connection. I realize that this likely will require an adapter depending on which MacBook version you have. This would help rule out whether it is somehow WiFi related.

Parallel to that, does the WiFi connection otherwise work as usual? Connect to the Internet fine both at work and other places?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users