Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A New Start...a Bad Idea...?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JWUequine08

JWUequine08

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

I have performed system restores before, on my desktop PC, and have played around with the idea of doing the same on my laptop, to pretty much restore it to factory condition. I am torn because I feel like I have 2 years of built-up "crap" on my laptop, but also have 2 years of driver updates, etc. I am by no means a computer expert, so I felt that before I did this, I would get some opinions...and with that, here are my details:

-Sony Vaio PCG-K23 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz, 448 MB of RAM

-Operating System: Windows XP Home, version 2002, Service Pack 2

-The memory in my C drive is quite low, I have uninstalled what I could, but I would just like a fresh start...if that is a bad idea, does any one have some suggestions for unloading all this crud and getting some memory and speed back?

-I should also add that I have done all the crap cleaning and defragmenting possible...at least I think so....

All thoughts on this matter are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Edited by JWUequine08, 06 September 2006 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Sony Tutorial for Windows System Restore:
System Restore Interactive Tutorial
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/tutorial-dis...60f4332b140a457

Now, if you are talking about Restore System bacjk to the system state that existed when the computer was new, that is an entirely different thing.

To do that you need to access the Sony Restoration partition that is on your hard drive or have a set of Sony Restore Disks.

Use the "Help" function in your computer for instructions regarding what you need to do to access it.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

This is not a decision, as you are aware, to be taken on the spur of the moment, since you will need to back up everything you want to keep (which is not a bad thing in itself) to disk. Hopefully you have backups already of any major applications and drivers, etc. you have downloaded, and have made sure that you have the installation disks for any others (MS Office, for example) that you may have purchased.
If you are adequately prepared, then sometimes a fresh start will dramatically improve the operation of your computer enough to balance out the time needed to configure it to your own special needs.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

A disk imaging utility will, if used when you first start, allow you to restore the system to a selected point with minimal hassle.

As for a "refresh" install of XP - IMO the best thing is a repair installation of Windows XP because it will leave your files and settings undisturbed. This will not create any more space on your C:\ drive tho' - that'll have to be accomplished by you deciding what to delete.

To view your hard drive's contents in a graphical interface (free): http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LF...paceMonger.html

How to do an XP repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JWUequine08

JWUequine08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

Thank you all so much for all your prompt replies...I just wanted to clarify my orginal post...I was kind of (well, still am) having an internal struggle...lol...I am pretty much trying to decide whether I wanted to do a complete clear out back to original factory settings, or do a system restore, to bring my laptop back to better, less cluttered days...

You are right, what is really keeping me from completely wiping out everything on my computer is the whole "backing up" thing...I have files and pictures and upgrades and drivers...I don't even know if all of the above can be backed up, but I know some of it can...how would I go about doing this?

In regards to both doing a system restore or completely redoing the whole computer, I must confess...I am a bit of a computer packrat...yes, I am the type of person who is afraid to throw out a single sock because, one day, I just might find its other half...and THEN what? lol...so my problem is pretty much a combo of the fact that I am afraid to delete some stuff cause I am afraid I may need it, or it may mess something up...(when I was younger, I decided it was a good idea to "clean up" my old desktop pc by deleting random files if their names didn't sound important enough...bad idea...I guess that's why I have always been a little more careful with my deleting...

As of now, I have taken a serious look at the programs I have installed myself, and have uninstalled quite a bit (the correct way, of course!)

well, any of your additional thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated...i guess what i was trying to do was kind of weigh the pros and cons of both options, so to any one who knows more about computers that I do: HELP!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:13 AM

I'm also a packrat - most of the CD's that I have are backups of programs that I've download or of my emails.

Long ago I found that it was necessary to return to a cleaner PC on occasion. Here's what I suggest:

1) Use a good, free backup program to save the files that you want to save. 2 good ones are SyncBack and Cobian Backup. Then, delete the stuff that you've backed up from your hard drive.

2) Do a format and clean install of your system. Do all the Windows Updates, install all of the drivers, and then put on all your favorite programs and adjust them to your liking.

3) Then immediately make an image of your hard drive using one of the drive imaging utilities mentioned earlier. This way, if your computer crashes, you can restore the image and be back up and running within 20 minuter (even less with some of the programs).

4) Here's the rub - the imaging won't save all of your files that you want saved (it's too big to use as a backup tool). So, the options are:
--Use a backup tool to backup these files regularly (if they remain on the primary drive)
--Use a separate hard drive to store them on - and then point your programs (particularly My Documents, email, and custom browser settings) to store things on the separate hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users