Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smithassoc

smithassoc

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hi,Please assist

My Laptop Hard Drive is a WD 5000lPVT (500gb)

I transfer all my data across using Samsung Migration Software over to a Samsung SSD 850 Pro (500GB)

The Information did not copy across all as it should,now I need to Erase(format the SSD drive) & after it is erase(format)& then I can over & put back my Old Hard Drive & re use the Migration Disc & copy Again

my Question is,Where can I obtain a Erase(format) software to erase(format) the SSD Drive

The Software supplied with the Samsung SSD drive comes with a Cd Disc & has a eraser program with it,but after trying it many mant times copying the contents on a few CD discs & then twice onto a usb memory stick ,it will only get to 60% & then freezes

I have re-install Samsung Software several times & downloaded new Software & ti does the same each times

Can somebody PLEASE ASSIST

thank you

Darryl.Smith.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

Physically, how are you going about transferring the data from the old drive to the new drive? You would need to have both the old hard drive and the SSD connected at the same time. So, that means you should have either an external enclosure or a universal drive adapter cable. If so, then just boot to Windows on the old drive, connect the SSD with the enclosure or adapter, and then wipe/format the drive with the Windows Drive Management.

If for some reason the above is not an option, then in terms of some software to download and burn to an optical disk, one option would be to use a Live CD version of a flavor of Linux. I believe many people recommend Puppy Linux for this type of thing. You could then boot from the Live CD and then wipe/format the drive in Linux. I have no direct experience with this approach, so I will not be much help beyond the suggestion. Others might be able to offer more detail.

Another option that I do have direct experience with is Acronis TrueImage. You can boot from a optical disc with it. While my main experience with it is for cloning and/or imaging drives, I have used it on occasion to wipe drives. I honestly don't recall if it will also format a drive. The downside of TrueImage is that it is not free, although it is a good program for imaging and cloning (i.e. doing backups). And you could even just use the cloning function of the Acronis TrueImage without even bothering with wiping the drive first...TrueImage when cloning will wipe all old data from the "target" of the cloning operation. I use TrueImage all the time for this purpose. In fact, I just did so for a buddy's computer when I upgraded his 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD. Both drives where Samsung drives and I did NOT use the Samsung software...just used TrueImage (but then I already had TrueImage for other reasons).

#3 smithassoc

smithassoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for your assistance,but it did not help,after spending a lot of time I finally realised that by removing the SSD drive & putting back my old drive & putting in mt ssd drive into the twin Female Drive units,I was able to wipe & erase the SSD Drive & download AOMEI software & recopied the drives using it(a fantastic software program.Highly Recommended

#4 LadyFitzgerald

LadyFitzgerald

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

I've had problems using Samsung's Migration software. However, I've had excellent luck using Macrium Reflect Free (both the free and the paid version).

#5 smithassoc

smithassoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hi LadyFitzgearald,

Thasnk you for your assistance,but if you read my reply above,Because of the problems I was having with Samsung Migration,I managed to download a Program AOMEI (Free) & it worked extremely well Even the program has a Backup with it & a to make reboot CD or Usb Stick

For which I highly recommend it & there help  is great as well

regards

Darryl.Smith.

#6 LadyFitzgerald

LadyFitzgerald

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

I saw your reply. I was just pointing out a couple of other options for others reading this thread.

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2017 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users