Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default ports - what are their numbers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

I just installed Thunderbird a month ago, because something nullified Mailwasher. I use W7.

My problem is that I could send mail yesterday, but not today. The problem appears to be in the way it contacts the server. I noticed that the ports look funny.

For POP3, 935 is the port. For SMTP, it is 587.

Over the years, I've always thought these ports were 2-digit numbers (10 and 25, I think).

I feel sure my settings have been changed overnight. Thunderbird sent emails yesterday, but not today. I have changed nothing in the app's settings.

Though I can download mail, I think someone else also has access to it. But for sending mail, nada.

So, for Thunderbird, what are the default ports for both POP3 and SMTP?

I think knowing those port numbers would solve the problem. It won't keep the hacker from changing them again, but at least I'll know how to thwart them.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

I use Thunderbird.  It's nof of any value to know port numbers when setting it up...all you have to do is set it up properly.

Did you follow the directions for setting it up...are you using a webmail setup as the source of your emails?

https://www.google.com/#q=setting+up+Thrunderbird

Louis

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for your reply. Since I set it up, and it worked fine until yesterday for both incoming and outgoing, I have no reason to think I didn't set it up right.

I don't know what you mean by a webmail setup. My email goes through prodigy in Mexico, and has, for decades.

I think I can assume  that the ports were correct yesterday, because SMTP worked. I can also assume that something changed the ports between yesterday and today, because Thunderbird tells me it can't send for reasons unknown.

My settings look okay, bur the port numbers seem suspicious. Since something DID change after yesterday, I want to know what ports Thunderbird is using TODAY.

So I just want to know what Thunderbird's SMTP port default is supposed to be. I'd like the POP3 port, too, because the port may allow someone to read my mail.

I can't find on the Thunderbird site what those port numbers are supposed to be by default. Can you?

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

A new development. At Thunderbird site, my password won't work. I type it in over the stars, but it won't accept it and puts the old stars back. So I can't log on to Thunderbird. i'm trying to get a new one now.

I think the plot thickens.

#5 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

More. I tried to log on to Mozilla support. Password didn't work. So I changed my password.

The new one was reset. But it doesn't work, either.

Now what am I supposed to do?

#6 carlosmartillo

carlosmartillo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

info retrieved from: http://ccm.net/faq/9166-smtp-imap-and-pop-server-settings-for-major-isps#prodigy

Prodigy

For Prodigy servers, use pop.att.yahoo.com for POP servers, smtp.att.yahoo.com (port 465) for SMTP servers, and imap.mail.yahoo.com (993) for IMAP servers.

I would actually consider contacting Prodigy/ATT tech support before proceeding too much further down the rabbit hole. They are more likely to have dealt with Prodigy-specific issues.  The ports are on your computer, but they are the ports via which Prodigy expects to be contacted for various mail servers. 

There are a number of strategies that can be pursued depending on the results of any answers you get back from Prodigy. 

What mail program are you using since Thunderbird isn't working? Did you check your spam and/or junk mail folder for messages from Thunderbird?

Good luck with this.

Carlos Martillo

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

Topic moved to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#8 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

Good idea. I can check with prodigy and even talk to an expert in English. Recently, I changed my password for prodigy because of a problem. I can do it again, if need be.

My former mail app was Mailwasher, but something meddled with it recently; I couldn't utilize it, even after reinstalling. So I switched to Thunderbird. I only like Mailwasher. You don't have to download everything. You can read and cull email right off the server. I've used Yahoo mail to send emails. Seems they're even able to go after both Thunderbird and Mailwasher, too.

This problem seems  to me more than prodigy. It's attached to Thunderbird, since I'm thwarted from accessing Thunderbird;/Mozilla and their forums.

If it can thwart Mozilla help, it's doing more than just changing port numbers. There can be many things they're doing that I haven't discovered yet. I know there are far too many processes going on - Task Manager tells me that, but I don't know how to tell a good one from a bad one, or even whether multiple copies of the same process is natural. My PC is slow. Bootup usually takes 3-4 minutes. Open programs often go into non-responding mode. The slowness is not new - I've had it a year or more.

If I can learn how Thunderbird assigns port numbers, I'd be able to change them back if mine are wrong.

Isn't it Windows that assigns port numbers? At the request of a mail app?

One thing I know for sure: I've been hacked.

Edited by faster, 05 May 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#9 carlosmartillo

carlosmartillo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Well, the ports are what the mail server (Prodigy, in this case) says they will be. 

You appear to have more serious issues than i can advise on, except to say that I generally start with Malwarebytes, but there is a sticky at the top of this particular forum which has detailed instructions on how you should proceed.

I really wish you the best of fortune, and hope you find an answer (or answers) soon.

Regards,

Carlos

#10 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Thanks very kindly, Carlos. If my port numbers come from Prodigy, they ought to be 10 and 25. They always have been. I'm going to change the port numbers used in Thunderbird. If that fails, I'll come back here. For now, I think I'll go to Prodigy's website to read and cull my email directly.

I know I have many issues. Actually, I'm riddled with them. Everything nasty that hits my system does so right through ZoneAlarm (and every day, ZA tries to add several files that Clamwin says are suspicious). It sails past Clamwin, the only antivirus that works and finds things. It doesn't catch everything. I have Malwarebytes but do not share your praise of it. All it finds are PUPS. Clamwin, several months ago, found over 50 things, including Trojans and exploits. Clamwin is free, and is far better than any other antivirus. ClamSentinel watches things online, and quarantines things.

Now I have something gnawing at my email. I've always used Mailwasher, a fine program that lets you read and cull emails right on the server - no need to download all the bad stuff. I had to delete it about a month ago, because something wasn't letting it log on. I'd made no settings changes. So I uninstalled and reinstalled - same problem. So I went to Thunderbird and got the problem I'm writing about here.

What I'd  really like to get is a free app that hides my location. I get all kinds of spam, and many ads on browser pages  assume I WANT ads in Spanish. It means people can tune in to much of what I do, and I find it disgusting.

Do you know of such an app? It would help a lot. All I can find cost money. I'm very disabled, and poor, so I can't do that. BECAUSE so many things can hit me, I never buy online. It keeps my account number private.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users