Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incompatible video drivers. Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 programmed2receive

programmed2receive

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hello, I am new here and I want to ask a question about an old laptop I'm trying to restore.

I have a 2007 Toshiba Satellite L305D notebook that originally shipped with Windows Vista and I'm trying to upgrade it to 10, But I'm having problems with the AMD Catalyst Control Center. The drivers for my video chip were written for vista and they seem to have compatibility problems in 10.

The chipset in my laptop is a Radeon Xpress 1250 running AMD CCC version 2007.0815.2326.40058. This driver worked fine in both Vista and Windows 7 but when I try to install in 10 it fails.
I've tried running them in compatibility mode under 7 or Vista and it actually installs the AMD display driver but the ATI CCC will not launch and gives an error message about cannot find file MOM. something or other..

Also video playback is unstable and lags heavily no matter the size/ resolution of video.* Have flawlessly watched movies at 1080p using Windows Vista. *

Does anyone know a workaround to make 10 accept the drivers? Is there a newer version of this driver that is compatible?

Edited by programmed2receive, 04 May 2017 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'm pretty sure you'll have no other option, but to either stay on Windows Vista, or move to a Linux distro, such as Puppy or Mint, but let's see what the guys here will say.:)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

No guarrantees but, if I read it correctly, the first reply to this MS Community topic may help you -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/using-legacy-graphics-driverradeon-x1250-written/ef1cf5cc-bbfb-4c55-831d-b7897d70808c

I know this topic goes back to late 2014 but it should still be relevant. How much RAM does this laptop have ?  From all I read you need at least 2GB to get Win 10 to run and 4GB is better. Still if all else fails, as Just_one has said, if you just want to get this laptop working again it should run Linux Mint XFCE edition extremely well.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 programmed2receive

programmed2receive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, I'll try this.

It has 4GB of RAM. Flies like a 747 under either vista or 7 but very buggy and slow with 10..

Edited by programmed2receive, 04 May 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

If I were you, I'd stay with Windows 7, which is, in my personal view, the last great Windows.:)

#6 programmed2receive

programmed2receive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

Agreed. lol
I don't get why they have to continuously change things that don't need it, asside from Aero, what ' graphical components have changed about Windows since Vista and 7?

#7 programmed2receive

programmed2receive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

It looks different and there's all the tablet mode stuff, but how is it 'advanced' from the old directX 9 or whatever was in use in 2007

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Well, it's hard to explain in retrospect, since it's been about 2 years since I last had Windows 7, but basically Windows 8 & 8.1 was a massive change to a more tablet-like environment (although it was possible to disable that feature which many people disliked). Windows 10 saw the return of the 'classic' Windows look, although much more dark and flat (you can see photos on the Internet by just typing 'Windows 10'). It has relatively many new features and improvements than Windows 7, but it is also more resource heavy and you have much less control over the system (for example you can't refuse updates, only delay them and oftentimes such updates would change the settings that you have previously set, which I found very annoying). It is overally stable though, but it has a somewhat steep learning curve. It comes with Edge browser pre-installed which caused me a lot of headaches and I can't stress enough how bad and unstable it is. All in all, if you learn your ways around it, you can be happy with Windows 10 on a new computer, but I think that, as I previously said, in terms of Windows, the Windows 7 is the overall all-time best and better than Windows 10. If I were you, I'd use it until end-of-support and then buy a new computer with Windows 10 (or whatever Windows is newest at the time).:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 04 May 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#9 programmed2receive

programmed2receive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Yeah good idea.

I'll have to try and find a cheap copy of 7. was hoping 10 would work because I have the disk downloaded from MS. no product key. Hmm, $120 for a new licence on an old PC? .. I think I'll try Mint 😂

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users