Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turning On Without Pressing Power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ElmoRapz

ElmoRapz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

So I have recently encountered a weird issue. I am working on a desktop build for my uncle, specs after this paragraph. I plug in the computer and it'll instantly turn on after it's plugged in

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Carbon
Processor: Intel i7 6600K [4.2Ghz]
Cooler: Corsair H60
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: Trident Z [2600Mhz] (2x16GB)
GPU: PNY GTX 1060 6GB
Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

When I plug the computer in the computer will turn on without even pressing power as I have previously stated, however when you press the power button to force turn off, it doesn't want to turn off. I have checked the connections for the case and they're placed correctly as stated in the Z270 manual. Another thing that happens, when you go to force turn off the LED blinks brightly four times and doesn't do anything.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time
-ElmoRapz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Look in the BIOS for an option related to "After Power Loss", where options would be "Auto power On", or , "Power Off". ALso, make sure "Wake on LAN" is off, unless you need it. Retest.

I would triple check your tiny header connections to mainboard again, specifically, the PWR switch pair. Most go across the pins with writing facing outward, although with power switch's momentary connection feature, that would not matter, as long as you get the header on the  two pins correctly.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

ya sounds like those little tiny header connection wires are not right.  sometimes they're hard to read/see.  make sure those are right or maybe the power button is stuck internally?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

Being that the power supply is on all the time, supplying voltage to the switch when the rest of the power supply is turned off.  The logic is on the MOBO.  A multimeter will let you check the switch for operation.

#5 ElmoRapz

ElmoRapz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

So after long testing and trying to get it to work i've come to the conclusion the problem was the power button in the front. The unit itself was defective. I got a new part for it and it's working now. Thank you for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users