Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I change user name?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 10 installed.  I proceeded to install programs without creating an individual account for myself thereby leaving all 'Appdata' files under the user name 'user'.  I would like the account under which these files are stored to by my own name..  I noticed the was no 'Rename' option to change 'user' to my own name.  How can this be done without uninstalling and re-installing all that I've already done?

Edited by richierein, 04 May 2017 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Rename User Profile Folder Name

Posted Image

#3 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

1. Open the Command Prompt
2. You can enable build-in Administrator account to rename your user profile folder name. Type following command
Net user administrator /active:yes
3. Boot Windows into enabled Administrator account and open the C:\Users folder and rename your user profile folder name.
4.  Open the registry editor by pressing Windows Key + R type regedit press Enter.
5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
click each subkey to find the key associated with user profile folder that you want to rename, the ProfileImagePath value data will have the user profile path and name, change the name to match the same name of the your user profile folder you have renamed.
6. After you have finnish with Administrator account disable it by typing following command.
Net user administrator /active:No

#4 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

I am terribly confused about this whole issue.  I would like to have all of my downloads, documents, pictures, videos...etc. stored under "C:\Users\MyName\...." .rather than the name assigned by Windows.  The statement "Boot Windows into enabled Administrator account....." is unclear.  I am already in the Administrator account.  Should I reboot the computer again and log back into the Administrator account to perform this registry edit?   Also, after doing the registry edit, should I reboot again before the final command prompt "Net user administrator /active:no"?

Lvipost above says in line 3 to "rename your user profile folder name" < I don't understand.  Do you mean to do this using the Rename Command or just by performing the registry edit or both?

Please explain the relationship between my email address(s), my Microsoft account and the folder in which my personal files are located.  I have 2 email addresses.  When I look at my account name it says 'Richard1' but my personal files are stored under C:\Users\tarza".

Edited by Platypus, 05 May 2017 - 12:34 AM.
Email addresses removed to avoid being harvested by spammers.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

There are times where it  seems like members will go through the most convoluted instructions possible rather than simple and easy instructions, such as the instructions found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

Good source DC3. Microsoft has easy guides to almost everything. 

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

I thought OP wanted to change the name of the user profile folder not the user account name.

Edited by FreeBooter, 05 May 2017 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users