Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Enclosure not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abku1980

abku1980

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

i removed the hard drive (Hitachi gm6935) from a dell latitude c640. I used a 2.5"Pata to USB 2.0 enclosure. when i connect it to my windows 10 laptop it does not appear, checked device manager. the light of the enclosure comes on and the hard drive makes a noise. Any advice please

the enclosure works with another hard drive

the enclosure details is as follows

Model: CH-DC-2520PD
Name: USB2.0 to 2.5" PATA external enclosure
Interface: USB2.0
Dimension: L 120 X W 75 X H 12MM
HDD Support: 2.5" PATA HDD

see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DEZ8WP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moved from System Building to External Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2017 - 12:13 PM.
Moved from BSODs etc. to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abku1980

abku1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

i removed the hard drive (Hitachi gm6935) from a dell latitude c640. I used a 2.5"Pata to USB 2.0 enclosure. when i connect it to my windows 10 laptop it does not appear, checked device manager. the light of the enclosure comes on and the hard drive makes a noise. Any advice please

see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DEZ8WP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

There a a couple things to try,  first a different USB port, second, connect to the PC first, then power up the external unit.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

I would run a diagnostic on the drive, since the enclosure seems to work properly with a different drive.

Since the enclosure seems to work with a different drive...I'd say that the removed hard drive merits a diagnostic.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#5 carlosmartillo

carlosmartillo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Just what noise did the drive make? Check out the url below which has a reasonably thorough collection of noises and types of drives. Note that noises from hard drives are rarely, if ever, good news.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

best of luck, been down this road more than a few times over the years.

Carlos Martillo

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

I could not find that drive with a Google search. What capacity is it? How old is the drive? Same questions for other drive that worked.

One possibility is that the enclosure is not providing enough power to the Hitachi drive. Some older 2.5" laptop drives in bus powered USB enclosure (i.e. no external power for the drive enclosure, just a USB port...like your enclosure) required power from two USB ports or an external power supply. Since it appears your enclosure might only use one USB port, this might be the issue.

Also, was the drive working fine in the Dell? In other words, what was the purpose in pulling the drive? Was it because the Dell was having problems? If so, then maybe the problems were due to the Hitachi drive.

#7 abku1980

abku1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

Because its a PATA HDD you have to play with the jumper on the drive to change from Master/SLAVE/CABLE SELECT

In some cases it only works in Cable Select instead of Master.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

I have merged 2 topics into this one.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2017 - 12:10 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

And I have merged another within this topic..

To the OP:  Please...do not start any more topics on this system.

Thank you :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users