Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Mode 2 or 3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dztormos1234

dztormos1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Hello , I am using toshiba satellite p50-a laptop . It has a hdd 1 Terabyte  hard disk. 

i want to replace it with ssd one,But i don't know which SATA mode compatibility I should buy.

The current hdd is sata 2 but I don't know if I can replace it with a sata 3 mode ssd  .So i installed sissoftware  sandra

it shows me when i entered the mainboard 

port                                                G2/sata300  (I think that this the hdd ) 

port                                                G1/sata150  (I think that this the dvd reader)

maximum sata mode                    G3/sata600 

knowing that sata150  is sata 1

sata300  is sata 2

sata600  is sata 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

SATA3 is backward compatible, SATA2 is backward compatible.  Your motherboard determines the max SATA speed supported.

"SATA II specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I ports. SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports. However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port."

More.Info.

SATA3 drives are the more prevalent today.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users