Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck With Edge in Win10 S?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-s-wont-let-you-change-the-default-browser-meaning-youre-stuck-with-edge/

<<<Yes, Microsoft Edge is the default web browser on Microsoft 10 S. You are able to download another browser that might be available from the Windows Store, but Microsoft Edge will remain the default if, for example, you open an .htm file. Additionally, the default search provider in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer cannot be changed.>>>

Here we go again, another got ya.  Maybe it won't effect me because I don't have any sort of Win 10 Pro.  This computer was pre-installed with Win10 though.  I rarely use Edge and I want to be able to use my current default browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Pretty sure that only applies to a lighter version of Windows 10 called Windows 10 S, my friend.:)

#3 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,787 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

You aren't stuck with Edge on regular Win 10, only a light version of Win 10 called Win 10 S. It has to have the S at the end. 

You can change the default browser on regular Win 10. For example, I use Opera on my Win 10 desktop as a default browser.

Edited by iMacg3, 04 May 2017 - 11:33 AM.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#4 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

<<<Windows 10 S is a simplified version of Windows 10 Pro>>>

If they do it here, would they get the idea it is fine to proceed with this for all Win 10 in the future?  I don't know the answer to that.  But I do find it worrisome.  I use another browser as my default, and always have.  Okay thanks for the comments.  I do appreciate it.

Edited by kelkay, 04 May 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

Windows 10 S is designed to compete with the Chrome OS and similar "light" operating systems in the educational market.  It is, thus, a "stripped down" version of Windows 10 that's much lighter than Home, even.

It's an attempt to penetrate a market in which Microsoft has been lagging badly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Oh I see.  Well, as long as it stays there, I am not upset.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

I'd say one has to be way more than cautiously optimistic that it will even succeed there.

The intention is to have a much more "locked down" version of Windows, which makes sense given the context because kids can and will try to fiddle with virtually anything and there's no way that this works when you're trying to make sure that everyone has the same setup when you're working with a class.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users