Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't activate computer protection or upgrade virus definitions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FratriX

FratriX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

Hello!

I believe I'm infected, I am using Windows 7.

i'm sorry i'm not a native english speaker, I'll try to explain as clear as possible.

My action center says "change windows update settings" and want me to enable auto update, but if i try to enable it nothing happens and the message is still dispayed, looks like something is blocking my computer updates and my antivirus.

AVG keep saying that i'm not protected (computer protection is turned off) and if i press "fix now" nothing happens, it remains disabled. In addition, if i check for updates with Malwarebytes, it gives me an error " unable to connect to server for updates, check your connection". My connection is ok, and updates with AVG are working.

1 week ago I was using google chrome as browser, but now it is "Unable to connect to the Internet" (Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET). IE and firefox have no problems.

Every day i scan with Malwarebytes and AVG, everyday they find some Adwares. AVG found Win32:Alisa, Win32:rootkit-gen and Win32:Agent-BBDH.

I tried to install and run SUPERantispyware: can't activate real-time protection/automatic updates and can't update manually (error: couldn't connect to update server!) found adwares.

i Installed and run MBAR: nothing found.

I did an ESET online scanning, nothing found.

Please help, i feel like i have lost control of my computer, any advice would be appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

start computer in safe mode and try to fix the problems

#3 FratriX

FratriX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

Nothing change in safe mode with connection: can't open action center, can't activate real time protection, can't update mbam or superantispyware. I can only scan but all i find are adwares.

I installed another antivirus (ESET NOD32) to check if that happens with all antiviruses: antivirus protection disabled, HIPS disabled, impossible to update. :(

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

are you able to download and run ADWCleaner?

if so, do it

#5 FratriX

FratriX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

did it and after rebooting it's all back to normal, thank you so much!! easier than expected :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users