Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bing search history problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:38 AM

Hi,
I am using the Edge browser. I have a problem with my Bing Search History. Even though Ive cleared my Bing Search history and set the Search History switch to OFF under Change History settings/Show my recent searches in Search history...I have checked under Privacy/Search in my MS account and it is still being recorded. My History is not switching itself back on or anything like that..it remains off but it doesnt seem to be doing anything as it isnt preventing my searches from being logged. Is this normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

Perhaps the Cloud is keeping it

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10607/microsoft-edge-view-delete-browser-history

So you have done this

https://www.bing.com/profile/history/delete

and this ?

http://www.bing.com/explore/searchhistory

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:34 AM

Yeah My Search History setting is Off and there is no history showing in there..as you would expect and nothing new is being added when I search...fine so far. The problem is in my Microsoft Account under Privacy/Search...all my Bing Searches are still being logged in there even though Ive cleared them in there as well several times

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

The easiest workaround is to use a search engine such as DuckDuckGo which has as its claim to fame that it tracks nothing about what you search for.

This is, of course, disjoint from whether or not your browser is keeping search history, which is a separate issue altogether.

Also, have you cleared your device history in Cortana & Search settings and made sure that none of the other devices you may be using are configured such that they keep search history via Bing?  If you unset one but are using multiple others those can still contribute if they haven't been "locked down."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

I have deleted the device history in Cortana. Im not sure what you mean..Have I deleted device history in Search Settings though..where is that option?

I don't have any other devices linked to Bing. All of the searches that are being recorded are from my laptop

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

It's officially "Cortana & Search settings".  I'm not talking about two separate sets of settings.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Sorry Brian I misunderstood you. Yeah I deleted the device history in Cortana. I don't know what else to do. Nothing seems to stop my searches being logged. I suppose its not a major problem but its definitely niggling me as to why its happening. I just cant turn it off even though it says its turned off.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Well, something else occurs:  Do you have the Personal Digital Assistant feature of Cortana disabled?

If you don't, that part of Cortana (as opposed to the part that's what Windows Search used to be) will build a history for itself because it must in order to do what it does.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hi Brian. Thanks for contacting me again. As far as I know I have Cortana fully disabled. I have had it turned on though until a few days ago but Ive been through all the settings I could find that seemed to be Cortana based and turned them off. I dont think Ive missed any but Microsoft certainly dont make it easy to disable..They could have just provided a simple on/off switch for Cortana but if there is one I certainly cant find it . I searched the web for a guide on how to fully turn off Cortana but I cant find one that is fully up to date with the Creators Update version. All the guides I found showed options/settings that must have been changed since the guides were written. (Im fully Windows 10 updated with the Creators Update 1703 edition)

Edited by sportsfan1, 05 May 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#10 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

Ive contacted the Microsoft Answer Desk and they've informed me that theres no way of turning off the searches apart from logging out of your Microsoft Account before searching. The Search section on Privacy Dashboard of Microsoft Account is apparently always going to log search entries and cant be turned off. You can only turn the history off in the browser not in the Cloud apparently

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,834 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

Yet another reason, for me anyway, to avoid using Edge.  I have Cortana "neutered" to be what old Windows Search had been and never do web related searches except from either Firefox or Chrome.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

Yet another reason, for me anyway, to avoid using Edge.  I have Cortana "neutered" to be what old Windows Search had been and never do web related searches except from either Firefox or Chrome.

And this is exactly how it should be and how it works best.+1 :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 06 May 2017 - 09:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users