Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 - STOP CODE: BUG CODE USB DRIVER...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 robplumm

robplumm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Alright...so I came home yesterday to a desktop that was shut down. Aside from restarts, that's never the case for it...so a bit suspicious. Restarted it and started getting the BSOD with the stop code: bug code usb driver.

I've managed to update the bios of the MB (ASUS Maximus Hero VII) to no avail. Right now the computer just stays in a loop of loading the MB splash screen, showing win splash with either saying it's trying to do an automatic repair or nothing at all...and then the BSOD. Rinse and repeat.

I've unplugged literally every USB in the computer (picked up a ps/2 keyboard from goodwill to use), aside from those attached to the MB directly. I've pulled the power to the USBs, to no avail. Still same message and loop. I attached an older win7 HDD, it tries to go into repair mode and then bsod's as well.

I've made both a DVD and USB install disk from Window's media creator. It won't load from either one.

I can't get it to bring up anything related to windows in order to try to get into the windows environ in safe mode.

So basically I'm stuck in a loop of BSOD. MS was stumped and escalated it to a higher level for a phone call later this week, but I'm hoping someone here might have any ideas.

I've tinkered around in the BIOS so much and reset it so many times now I'm about to go blind...:)

So any ideas, any more info I can hand out that might help? (keep in mind...I literally can't get into to windows...I looked at all the things mentioned in the pinned thread...I can't do any of those that I'm aware of since I can't get into windows).

IMG_20170503_125029118_HDR_zps5xuwlerb.j

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

See page 3-45 or your manual. Disable Fast Boot. Sometime having FastBoot enabled prevents booting from a DVD or USB flash drive. I believe tapping F8 at boot will let you access a boot menu to select your DVD or USB flash drive.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO/E9799_MAXIMUS_VII_HERO_V2_WEB.pdf

If you still cannot boot the DVD or USB flash drive see if the following method will get you to the Advanced Boot Options to let you access Safe Mode.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#3 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

See page 3-45 or your manual. Disable Fast Boot. Sometime having FastBoot enabled prevents booting from a DVD or USB flash drive. I believe tapping F8 at boot will let you access a boot menu to select your DVD or USB flash drive.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO/E9799_MAXIMUS_VII_HERO_V2_WEB.pdf

If you still cannot boot the DVD or USB flash drive see if the following method will get you to the Advanced Boot Options to let you access Safe Mode.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Appreciate the quick response.

To the first: I've disabled fast boot to no change. Enabled it with making sure all USB are available...still nothing but a bsod.

For the second: I can get it to say that auto repair is starting, but it blue screens before the screen with options appears. So it never makes it to the Auto Repair Screen.

The fear at this point is that it's a MB issue...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Did you get a boot menu from tapping F8 at boot?  To rule out some corruption in the Media Creation Tool download a live linux iso file. Burn the iso by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. If linux mint boot then you know it's not a MB issue.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

#5 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Did you get a boot menu from tapping F8 at boot?  To rule out some corruption in the Media Creation Tool download a live linux iso file. Burn the iso by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. If linux mint boot then you know it's not a MB issue.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

Did get the boot menu with F8, but no USB showing up. That's despite enabling USB to "turn on" early in the post process.

Will give the linux boot a shot tomorrow. If it could boot into that, that could be helpful in updating some other aspects of the MB at least. See what happens...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

I don't believe this MB has SecureBoot but enabled disable it in UEFI before booting Mint.

#7 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

2nd linux ISO worked (first had a slew of errors) and linux loaded...just not recognizing a mouse :) Which apparently makes it impossible to do something like add an internet connection.

But I guess that's a positive in the right direction that it loaded.

Will try a new win10 image later today to see if maybe there was an issue there.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

If linux did not recognize the mouse and the mouse is USB then it's possible you have issues with your USB ports. Did you try the mouse on another USB port when at the linux desktop?

#9 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

If linux did not recognize the mouse and the mouse is USB then it's possible you have issues with your USB ports. Did you try the mouse on another USB port when at the linux desktop?

Tried several different ports, yeah. Even shifted from the Razer mouse to a generic usb one. They're getting power from the ports (ie, lights come on, laser is powered). Just not picked up as a useable device.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

USB should have been picked up by Mint. I think something is going on with your USB ports. Is the USB keyboard detected. The motherboard looks like it has a PS2 port. Does a PS2 mouse work if you can find one.

#11 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

Nothing's detected. When I do a search for usb devs in Linux it only comes up with 2. Both of which are "hubs" (and no luck finding a ps/2 mouse...only the keyboard for the moment)

Using: 

lsusb -v | grep -E '\<(Bus|iProduct|bDeviceClass|bDeviceProtocol)' 2>/dev/null

But none of the devices I have attached (a keyboard, 2 mice, data stick) show up...so...power from the ports (mice are getting power), but nothing as far as being able to use the devices themselves. Which would bring us full circle to it being something related to the drivers...but I can't come anywhere close to getting into windows or to a command prompt even. Makes it a bit hard to do anything about the driver issue...:)

Interestingly enough, when I updated the bios, I did so via the USB port to flash it the MB.

Frustrating stuff....:)

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,949 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Since you can boot into Linux, can you read your Windows drive, and attach the zipped contents of C:\Windows\Minidump please for my analysis in your next reply?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#13 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

Since you can boot into Linux, can you read your Windows drive, and attach the zipped contents of C:\Windows\Minidump please for my analysis in your next reply?

Finally able to get a dump...been a weird time of windows loading and then going back into bsod loops. I was able to grab all the MB drivers and apply those. But still not recognizing USB ports or pci-e port (wifi card is plugged into one of those). I've adjusted the PCI settings in the BIOS, still not picking up the card. I can't apply the drivers for the card because the first thing it checks for is whether or not the card is on the system or not...

Managed to get the minidump as well as run sysnative file collection and perfmon report.

In the meantime...I was able to do a windows reset, which accomplished nothing apparently. Talked to MS Friday...when the guy learned there was no internet connection, just said sorry and to do a reset....and added that a new update came out a couple weeks ago that requires all drivers to be updated. Gee thanks, eh?

Attached Files

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,949 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

First, one of your volumes is marked as "dirty", please run CHKDSK, therefore:

:step1: Check Disk

WARNING: It is recommended that you backup ALL your files. If CHKDSK finds and repairs a corrupted sector, you may lose your data.

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
chkdsk /R
  • You should see this message:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer and CHKDSK will run.

Once CHKDSK is complete, we need the log:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

Also, please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.

From the dump file, here are the bugcheck parameters:

2: kd> .bugcheck
Bugcheck code 000000FE
Arguments 00000000`00000005 ffffad85`e833b1a0 00000000`80868cad ffffad85`ec6a02d8

The first parameter indicates that a hardware failure has occurred because of a bad physical address found in a hardware data structure. After you have run the HDD tests, will you please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes? Here's a good guide if you need help.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#15 robplumm

robplumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

TimeCreated : 5/7/2017 3:08:52 AM
Message     :

Checking file system on C:
              The type of the file system is NTFS.
              Volume label is BobbyHD.

A disk check has been scheduled.
              Windows will now check the disk.                         

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
                722176 file records processed.                                                        
              File verification completed.
                57887 large file records processed.                                   
                0 bad file records processed.                                     

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
                908098 index entries processed.                                                       
              Index verification completed.
                0 unindexed files scanned.                                        
                0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                    

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
              Cleaning up 461 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
              Cleaning up 461 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
              Cleaning up 461 unused security descriptors.
              Security descriptor verification completed.
                92962 data files processed.                                           
              CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
                35637808 USN bytes processed.                                                           
              Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
                722160 files processed.                                                               
              File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
                87134013 free clusters processed.                                                       
              Free space verification is complete.
              CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
              No further action is required.

976195583 KB total disk space.
               626407500 KB in 530636 files.
                  371300 KB in 92963 indexes.
                       0 KB in bad sectors.
                  880731 KB in use by the system.
                   65536 KB occupied by the log file.
               348536052 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
               244048895 total allocation units on disk.
                87134013 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
              00 05 0b 00 41 83 09 00 1e 22 13 00 00 00 00 00  ....A...."......
              6d 07 00 00 59 b3 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  m...Y...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
              Please wait while your computer restarts.

SeaTools ran with no issues. Running Memtest now...ran it a couple days ago with no issues...see how it goes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users