Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CRITICAL PROCESS DIED every time Windows 10 summons Edge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 evagrius

evagrius

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Trying to follow jcgriff2 instructions for posting BSOD; can't see what to do with Perfmon Report

I also have a zipped file from sysnativeFileCollection but I don't see how to attach it.

Sorry to be so dense.

Moved to BSOD at bwv848's request.

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 03 May 2017 - 11:17 PM.
Mod edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

I think you're in the wrong place to be asking this question, however, the answer is generic enough so . . .

When you're composing your message look at the bottom right of the composition area.  There are two buttons:  Post and More Reply Options.

Hit More Reply Options.

You will be presented with the full editor and, if you are in one of the forums (like BSOD help) that accepts attachments there should be an area at the bottom where you attach your files.  Since this forum does not allow attachments I can't get more specific than this because I can't remember whether there is a drag and drop attach option or if you have to browse to find the files you want to attach.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 evagrius

evagrius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

OK, thanks Nick Au, I see it now.  I haven't been able to zip the Perfmon output which is .html.  I tried saving it as just file, the only other option.

Attached Files

#4 evagrius

evagrius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Error   Symptom:
A service is reported as having an unexpected error code Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way. Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077 Resolution: Restart the service Related: Performance Diagnosis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

No memory dumps present in the uploaded reports.

Are you using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner)?  If so, please stop while we're troubleshooting.

The information on the BSOD's listed in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report are too vague for a diagnosis.

Please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Let it crash the system several times, then upload the resulting memory dumps for us to have a look at.

If no memory dumps are present, then rerun the SysnativeFileCollectionApp again and upload the reports from it.

From the reports that you uploaded.....

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A04) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.
FYI - there are many, many Windows Update errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.  Ensuring that Windows Updates is working is critical!

I used to use ERUNT but haven't even looked at it in years.
Is your copy current?  If not, please uninstall it.

You can make System Restore points to save the different states of the registry if you'd like.

Beyond this I have these 5 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Try this free tool from Kaspersky to update some common applications:  https://support.kaspersky.com/11827
4.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
5.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 evagrius

evagrius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

USAMSA:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply and effort to help.  I am sorry it has taken me a whole week to respond. 

I'm happy to report that the problem is resolved.  Below,I've listed what I've done.  You may of course either drop it or continue to respond as you see fit.

There are no more recent BIOS updates made available from DELL.  They discuss UEFI but I couldn't follow it.  Also, they state that they support only through Windows 7.

Windows Update said three more were available.  I got two (dealing with features) and the third disappeared.  There did appear to be something wrong with my Windows Update process. I was able to repair that through Dell Support Assist.

The only way I could find to remove ERUNT was by deleting its folders through powershell.

I downloaded, installed and tried Kaspersky Software Update. (It does not correctly detect my version of Firefox ??)

I had no hardware conflicts.  I found Carrona's hardware diagnostics very difficult to follow and I'm sure I haven't made good use of them.

Now, on my own, that is, not in response to your suggestions, I was unable to stop the evil Edge directly but when I disabled Internet Explorer, Edge went with it.  I don't care if I ever see either one again.

My machine is still quite slow.  I have kept it pretty clean and pared down the start up list.  I have 8gb of RAM and plenty of disk space.  I've been using Malwarebytes 3.0 since it came out.  I suspect that my registry is cluttered.  I know I have a couple of lost or damaged DLL files which I have been unable to restore.  I also don't seem to be able to learn how to use AUTORUNS.  I am assuming that because every reliable resource says not to either use a registry cleaner or monkey with editing the registry if you are not expert, I have refrained.  So, I'm also assuming that the only remaining recommended action is to re-install Windows.  I see that Microsoft has come out with a seemingly simple process for a "streamlined" version.  I'm guessing this means a reduced instruction set.  Does this not constitute a tacit admission on their part that the full Windows 10 is, at best, unwieldy, and probably unmanageable for most of us?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

I'm glad to hear that you've fixed the problem.

The diagnostics on my web page may be confusing (I am the owner of carrona.org ).  If you have any questions about them, feel free to ask.

I agree about editing the registry - it's fraught with danger.

I've taken the time to research this, and have spoken to several experts about this.

The point being that, in general, there's usually no reason to mess with the registry as it's very robust and forgiving.

In those instances where messing with the registry is needed, the fix should be fairly easy to find/reveal - but being sure to put the right values in the right place is difficult.

W10 is actually a nice OS, and (IMO) by far the best version of Windows yet.

That being said, the more they do to improve it - the more complicated it gets.

And the more complicated it is, the easier it is to break it.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users