I've been having trouble with some kind of virus lately. I'm not sure of its exact nature, but I definitely believe I'm infected. I am on Windows 10.
- Firefox slowing down when typing, or when using sites like roll20.net.
- Entire computer locks up one program at a time until everything's frozen and stays frozen until a point where everything un-freezes. I believe disk usage shoots up to 100% when this happens. The programs tend to only freeze when they need to "load something new", if that makes sense. I'm unsure if this particular issue is related to the virus or not.
- At some point I received an obviously fake pop-up for a Firefox update, and my search engine was changed to Yahoo.
- At some point, a branch of Chromium was installed on my computer and was set to launch by default on startup.
- On occasion, the Firefox WebIDE will open up by itself, entirely unprompted.
- At some point, I saw a CMD window pop up along with the WebIDE and it said something about making a daemon process.
Troubleshooting I've tried:
- Running Malwarebytes (no dice - doesn't pick anything up.)
- Running Hitmanpro
- Running AdwCleaner
- Running CCleaner
- I found a folder called "Wincy" in Appdata (local I believe), it seemed to be nothing but suspicious so I deleted it.
I ended up needing to fully refresh Firefox for the symptoms to stop, but the WebIDE opened back up by itself again earlier, and as I was typing this post, the WebIDE opened itself once more. so I guess I'm still infected. Any advice would be appreciated.
Edited by miracleBC, 03 May 2017 - 05:06 PM.