Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What can I do to stop going over my Internet data usage? :(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

When did data plans for internet service become a thing. I've had internet for a long time, and it was always unlimited but now I'm gone over data caps that shouldn't even be there. Money hungry &%&*$&!!

Twice now I've gotten letters about over data usage. Once last year, and once last month. It was always a second letter never a first. Now this morning I wake up to a third letter,but this one says I now have to get a higher service for my internet needs or they cut me off.

I apparently have 300 GB of data. The other notices said I went over 30. This one says I went to  503GB of data during my most recent billing cycle. I've been doing what I've always done since forever,but now its a problem. What kills me is that when I got the other notice I starting doing things that I thought would lessen my data usage.

Examples 

I used to sleep with the internet still on all night. However, I've started to get off the net, and put the whole computer in hibernation mode.This way the internet is shut down this way as well. 

I always have multiple tabs open to various webpages Netflix and YouTube included. I stopped doing this.

There's only me and one other person in the house. They're gone most of the day and night,and when they come home they mostly watch a movie on Netflix. They do go to sleep with Netflix still running though. However, i've told them about the overage thing so they now shut netflix down before sleep.

I have wifi,but its password protected and has always been. So i don't think anyone outside my home can access it.

My phone has internet capability,netflix, youtube, etc but I've never used it for that, and I always cut the wifi off on it.

I don't know what else to do. I thought I was limiting my usage, and yet the highest I've ever gone over was done with me trying not to do so.

You think they will let me keep my original plan? I have untill the 27th of this month to upgrade. :( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Just...change your Internet Service Provider? 90% of them don't have data limits. You seem to be on one of the rest. Change your ISP to the most popular in your country which doesn't have a data cap (lowering your speed after a certain amount of Internet data has been used up).
If you are organised about it, you can research it till the end of this work-week and have them install the new limitless Internet connection on the next Monday.
Good luck!:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 03 May 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#3 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

How can I change internet providers when there is only one company where I live. :(

Whats the most popular in the country with this mystical unlimited data?

What does 1TB stand for? I've never seen data written like that.

Edited by fantasy09, 03 May 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,633 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Thats about 10GB/day, 300GB a month sounds pretty stingy. You can reach that quickly. Mine has a 1TB monthly limit. The streaming industry brought all this about, The days of just browsing and E-mail are over.

The real fear for the ISP is that unlimited data/streaming will encroach on there TV packages.

To give you an idea of activities/bandwidth usage see link. Your ISP may have one also. You may be able to see your totals on there web site if they provide that function. Not much you can do really, up your plan or find another ISP.

And of course I assume your machine is malware free because that can certainly suck up the bandwidth.

http://www.cox.com/myconnection/learn/data-usage/data-usage-calculator.cox

http://stopthecap.com/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

How can I change internet providers when there is only one company where I live. :(

Whats the most popular in the country with this mystical unlimited data?

What does 1TB stand for? I've never seen data written like that.

There's is nothing you can do if there's only one ISP in your local area. Also, 1TB  means 1 terabyte... I would recommend changing your ISP as some of them have different amounts of money that you have to pay for internet data usage. 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

#6 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

What OS is on your computer?

What devices are streaming Netflix?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

how-big-is-300gb_5035332602cf7_w1500.jpg

How big is 300GB? | Visual.ly

Edited by buddy215, 10 June 2017 - 06:00 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

For now, you might have to upgrade your present plan.  Afterwards, like the others have indicated, keep an eye and ear out for any kind of competition that will treat you better.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:01 AM

Most modern routers have a built-in function to log usage statistics by IP and MAC address.

Normally accessible through the router Admin GUI.

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

i also have the same 300gb cap, i took my router and changed the settings so instead of access speed of 100mb/sec i capped it at 20Mb/sec.  to all devices.  so i could

get an idea on my data usage.   right now I have doubled it to 40Mb/sec and I'm able to stay under the 300Gb cap.

then I unplugged all smart devices from the net (smart TV, Roku Box).  these devices are live all the time whether your tv or streaming box is on or off.  they are always doing

something and Roku boxes are the worst!

now I only use about 5-8gigs a day and it's enough to stream video's without any lag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users