Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hello again!

I just tried to access one of my older programs (which I have had no problems with up until now) and I get this message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

To my knowledge, I have the correct permissions to access the .exe file to run the program, but even if I go to the directory & double click on that file, I get the same error message.

I've attached a screen shot of the error message & the permissions.

I'm using W10 with Avast Internet Security, so I'm wondering if somehow Avast is blocking that program from functioning.

Many thanks,

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Okay... it didn't upload my screen shots!

Help....

=SubMariner=

#3 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

To resolve this problem, follow the steps in the methods

Method 1: Check to see if you have permission to open the file
Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).
Click Edit, and then click to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then click OK. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Method 2: Check to make sure the file location is available
Method 3: Make sure that the file has not been moved or deleted
Method 4: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption
Method 5: Check to see if your antivirus software is blocking the file

#4 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

To resolve this problem, follow the steps in the methods

Method 1: Check to see if you have permission to open the file
Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).
Click Edit, and then click to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then click OK. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Method 2: Check to make sure the file location is available
Method 3: Make sure that the file has not been moved or deleted
Method 4: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption
Method 5: Check to see if your antivirus software is blocking the file

I actually went through that checklist just after I posted the question. As it happens, it was AVAST that was blocking access to the program. Uninstalling AVAST solved the issue.

BTW, I will never use AVAST again. There were other issues with the program to which their tech people were slow to respond. They had me repeat the same steps over & over "hoping" for a different result, which of course never happened. Ultimately, they wanted me to uninstall & reinstall the program for my original issue, which I (happily) did. Because at that point I already knew I wasn't going to have anything more to do with them.

Regardless, thanks for your response.

=SubMariner=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users