Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 / XP dual boot problems: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk."

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Hello,

I'm trying (for the first time) to set up a computer with a dual boot of Windows XP and Windows 7. I mostly use Windows 7 but I have a couple programs that will only run on XP. As XP is already installed on the computer, I was trying to add a second partition for Windows 7 and I was trying to go by this guide: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html
However, after I have shrunk the XP partition down and attempts to install Windows 7, I get the following error message:
"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks."

What should I do to successfully create the dual boot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

As you have already learned XP cannot boot from a GPT disk which is required on a UEFI computer. Your only options are the following. Change your UEFI settings to legacy mode and reinstall Windows 7. Then install XP.  The other option, if you have enough RAM is to install XP in a Virtual Machine such as Virtual Box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziNMe4lMpAo

If you have Windows 7 pro there is a XP mode.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-Xp-Mode-in-Windows-7

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911/run-xp-mode-on-windows-7-machines-without-hardware-virtualization/

Edit: You could also purchase an old computer for XP specific programs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#3 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

As you have already learned XP cannot boot from a GPT disk which is required on a UEFI computer. Your only options are the following. Change your UEFI settings to legacy mode and reinstall Windows 7. Then install XP.  The other option, if you have enough RAM is to install XP in a Virtual Machine such as Virtual Box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziNMe4lMpAo

If you have Windows 7 pro there is a XP mode.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-Xp-Mode-in-Windows-7

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911/run-xp-mode-on-windows-7-machines-without-hardware-virtualization/

Edit: You could also purchase an old computer for XP specific programs.

Thank you for answering. But I read it's more difficult to install Windows XP after Windows 7 is already on there. Also, will Windows XP even install if I set the PC to Legacy Mode?

I tried VirtualBox before and unfortunately it does not run well on the computer in question (maybe the RAM is too low, I don't know).

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

Your computer most likely has SATA interface for the hard drive(s). Unfortunately XP does not have native SATA drivers included and would need to have them slipstreamed into the install media using a program called Nlite. You would first need to determine the chipset the computer has and then determine if there are any drivers available for XP.

You may be better off finding an old used computer to run XP on. 

It's possible Virtual Box ran slow because of your CPU and RAM as you stated. You should have at least 4GB of RAM to run XP on Windows 7. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#5 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

Your computer most likely has SATA interface for the hard drive(s). Unfortunately XP does not have native SATA drivers included and would need to have them slipstreamed into the install media using a program called Nlite. You would first need to determine the chipset the computer has and then determine if there are any drivers available for XP.

You may be better off finding an old used computer to run XP on. 

It's possible Virtual Box ran slow because of your CPU and RAM as you stated. You should have at least 4GB of RAM to run XP on Windows 7. 

The PC is originally a Windows 7 computer. But now I have XP installed on it now and it runs fine. It's Windows 7 that refuses to install as a second partition.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

If you have valid Win 7 install media...all you should have to do is begin the Win 7 install process on the system.  Win 7 can be installed on UEFI and MBR disks, I have my install on an MBR disk.

Boot into XP and do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

Sorry for the confusion on my part. Since you already have Windows XP installed, you enabled Legacy or CSM boot before installing XP, correct? Do you still have Legacy or CSM boot enabled in your UEFI settings. If you have not enabled CSM or Legacy boot then Windows 7 sees UEFI enabled and therefore you get the error. 

Can you list the steps you took before installing XP? Did you delete all partitions or wipe the disk before installing XP?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 May 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#8 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

@JohnC_21: Sorry, I don't know what I've got it set to. I looked in the BIOS but I couldn't find the UEFI settings anywhere. Where am I likely to find it? Sorry, I suck at this. Before I installed Windows XP, I completely deleted all partitions on the whole C: drive and installed fresh. All I've done after installing XP is installing the hardware drivers and running Microsoft's Windows Update.

@hamluis: Thank you for replying. Here is the snapshot link from Speccy and the MiniToolBox log (the error listed is because first time I ran MiniToolBox, it crashed - second time it worked):

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8byfQYl1Z6KvRQ3dH1QyhFm

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 17-06-2016
Ran by Administrator (administrator) on 04-05-2017 at 17:36:06
Running from "E:\"
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Model: imedia S2100 Manufacturer: Packard Bell

Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (05/04/2017 05:34:40 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application MiniToolBox.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module MiniToolBox.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000238f0.
Processing media-specific event for [MiniToolBox.exe!ws!]

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/04/2017 05:34:36 PM) (Source: 0) (User: )
Description: \...\DR2

Error: (05/04/2017 05:34:35 PM) (Source: 0) (User: )

Error: (05/04/2017 05:34:35 PM) (Source: 0) (User: )

Error: (05/04/2017 05:34:34 PM) (Source: 0) (User: )

Error: (05/01/2017 03:16:16 PM) (Source: Setup) (User: )
Description: Windows Setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation. Please check the setuperr.log found in your Windows directory for more information.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (05/04/2017 05:34:40 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: MiniToolBox.exe0.0.0.0MiniToolBox.exe0.0.0.0000238f0

=========================== Installed Programs ============================
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM\...\{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}) (Version: 8.0.56336 - Microsoft Corporation)
NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 wireless USB 2.0 driver (HKLM\...\{3C7839E7-21F4-49E0-B4D5-AC8ED818CCB0}) (Version: 2.2.0.6 - NETGEAR)
Realtek Card Reader (HKLM\...\{5BC2B5AB-80DE-4E83-B8CF-426902051D0A}) (Version: 6.3.9600.31207 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (HKLM\...\{F132AF7F-7BCA-4EDE-8A7C-958108FE7DBC}) (Version: 5.10.0.7511 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
SteelSeries Engine 3.4.5 (HKLM\...\SteelSeries Engine 3) (Version: 3.4.5 - SteelSeries ApS)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (HKLM\...\KB2345886) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2749655) (HKLM\...\KB2749655) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2904266) (HKLM\...\KB2904266) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB2934207) (HKLM\...\KB2934207) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB898461) (HKLM\...\KB898461) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (HKLM\...\KB951978) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Update for Windows XP (KB955759) (HKLM\...\KB955759) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389) (HKLM\...\KB968389) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (HKLM\...\KB971029) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815) (HKLM\...\KB973815) (Version: 1 - Microsoft Corporation)
WebFldrs XP (HKLM\...\{350C97B0-3D7C-4EE8-BAA9-00BCB3D54227}) (Version: 9.50.7523 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474) (HKLM\...\WgaNotify) (Version: 1.9.0040.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (HKLM\...\ie8) (Version: 20090308.140743 - Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Memory info: ===================================
Percentage of memory in use: 15%
Total physical RAM: 2552.33 MB
Available physical RAM: 2149.02 MB
Total Virtual: 4441.88 MB
Available Virtual: 4189.82 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================
1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:232.94 GB) (Free:227.64 GB) NTFS
3 Drive e: (KODAK) (Removable) (Total:0.48 GB) (Free:0.48 GB) FAT

========================= Users: ========================================
User accounts for \\COMPUTER_1

Administrator            Guest                    HelpAssistant            
SUPPORT_388945a0         

**** End of log ****

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

In your BIOS do you see anything listed as Legacy or CSM boot? What is the model number of the Packard Bell computer? Is your Windows 7 install disk a recovery disk provided by Packard Bell? 

I am not sure why Windows 7 keeps saying you have a EFI system if you were able to install XP 32bit. If the computer is in EFI mode as Windows 7 states then it would not be possible to install XP.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

I don't see anything shedding any light on what's going on.

Who did this install of XP...and why was the previous O/S deleted?

I think that John was right,,,this has to do with UEFI/BIOS/GPT.

Since the system really has nothing on it...I would try again, using the proper settings in the BIOS.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#11 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

In your BIOS do you see anything listed as Legacy or CSM boot? What is the model number of the Packard Bell computer? Is your Windows 7 install disk a recovery disk provided by Packard Bell? 

I am not sure why Windows 7 keeps saying you have a EFI system if you were able to install XP 32bit. If the computer is in EFI mode as Windows 7 states then it would not be possible to install XP.

I can't find anything in the BIOS that mentions Legacy or CSM, except "Legacy USB Support" (enabled). The model of the Packard Bell computer is iMedia 2100. It originally came with Windows 7 preinstalled. I used my Windows XP Professional installation CD when I installed XP. I deleted the whole Windows 7 partition before I installed XP. Even if I wanted to have to have just Windows 7 on it and no XP at all I would still have taken the preinstalled 7 off first and use my install disc to put it on, because it came with a bunch of software I don't want.

If I take pictures of the BIOS settings and upload, do you think you would be able to help me locate the settings? Thanks both of you by the way for your effort in trying to help me so far.

Edited by krs000a, 05 May 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Is there any mention of "GPT" or "UEFI" in your BIOS settings reflected?

Louis

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

You can upload your images to an image hosting site and provide the links. I have a feeling this computer is not UEFI as you installed XP without any changes to your BIOS, correct? And yet you cannot install Windows 7 because it keeps flagging the computer as EFI.

How did you delete the partitions before installing XP?

I would create a dual boot system doing the following.

Boot the Windows 7 install disk. At the language screen press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      X will be the number associated with the disk you will install 7 to. It will be 0 if you only have one disk

clean                 Deletes all partitions

convert MBR     This may fail saying the disk is already MBR. If it does ignore the error

exit

exit

Continue with the Windows 7 install.  Once Windows 7 is installed resize the Windows partition with Partition Wizard. All unallocated space will be to the right of the Windows 7 partition. Reduce the partition size to what you wish for XP. Create and format a primary NTFS partition in the unallocated space. All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until you press Apply.

Follow this guide on installing XP after Windows 7. After Installing XP you can use EasyBCD to recover the Windows 7 boot loader under BCD deployment.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Dual-Boot-Windows-7-and-Windows-XP/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users