Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alarming shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scotstech

scotstech

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

My XP machine has started to take an eternity to shut down. It hangs for up to 20 minutes at "Saving your settings..." with virtually no disk activity.

When it eventually shuts down, and I attempt to restart shortly after, the machine power comes on, but cuts out almost immediately and won't get past "System is starting" ... just what you'd expect from overheating. I have to wait up to 30 minutes before I can get going again.

I'm thinking that that the alarmingly prolonged shutdown is frying the works, and urgently need to find out what might be causing it.

Any ideas really grateful received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 scotstech

scotstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for reaching out, Louis.

It's now fixed (I think). Worked out that the behaviour started around the same time as I installed the latest program version of AVG free. It wasn't loading properly at startup and I suspected it wasn't terminating properly when the system was asked to shutdown - hence the 'hang' and the need to do the hard shutdown with the power button. Absent a hard shurdown, I reckon the switch off only happened - eventually - because the system's thermal protection dectected overheating and cut off the power. That isn't good.

I tried to test that theory by attempting to end several AVG processes in task manager before attempting a shutdown, but those attempts were blocked by AVG. Reckon that's totally unacceptable,

To cut a long story short, after 2 hours work, I managed to remove AVG. Complete nightmare of a job.

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2017 - 08:50 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Glad you resolved it :).

If you have a recurrence of issues, feel free to post such to this topic.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 scotstech

scotstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Glad you resolved it :).

If you have a recurrence of issues, feel free to post such to this topic.

Happy computing :).

Louis

Thanks for stepping in here, Louis.

In case it helps other visitors, AVG was the problem. The machine now shuts down in seconds; and running Panda in place of AVG runs much, much faster. I've also recovered 3-4Gb on disk space which I badly need.

However, as I've explained in another recent post, it seemed that the AVG nightmare - which caused overheating - had trashed one of the optical drivers. (I've had this sort of experience before where USB ports were unusable for a while following an overheat, again caused by a program not closing on shutdown). The optical drive problem might now be solved... and I might be out of the woods. But the whole experience has left me with a very jaundiced view of AVG.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Not to alibi for any problem program or service...but file corruption can occur (with any number of causes) anytime.  Data files, program files, O/S files...they are all subject to damage.  When damaged, they may not behave as any user might expect them to behave...when that occurs and it can be pinpointed to a given program, uninsrtalling said program is the beginning of the resolution, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users