Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Circle-head screws?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

I'm trying to get the 500GB hard drive out of the case right now. But I can't seem to figure out how to unscrew it. I know the hard drive is at the very very bottom of the case, and there appears to be four screw holes on the bottom, with only two of those holes having screws in them. I'm ASSUMING that these are the screws which keep the 500GB hard drive in place.

That's all fine and good, but there's a slight problem: These don't appear to be regular flat-head or philips-head screws. The wholes almost appear circular. None of my screwdrivers work to get them out.

What tool do I need to get these screws out so I can switch to a different case?

EDIT: Basically it's the screw found in the bottom-left corner of this image:

screw-bolt-heads-23487216.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 03 May 2017 - 05:03 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

Thats looks like a rivet which normally is not removable, however you can drill them out. Are you sure that's what is holding the drive in? You may have a latch of some sort to move and then the drive may just slide out, what type case is this?

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

what type case is this?

Ummm ... a black metal one ... question mark?

Seriously, bro ... you're gonna have to be a bit more specific in what details you're asking for.

My current build:

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

It might help if you can post the make and model of the machine.  I sincerely doubt that the drive is riveted in place.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

what type case is this?

Ummm ... a black metal one ... question mark?

Seriously, bro ... you're gonna have to be a bit more specific in what details you're asking for.

LOL I was digging for "more specific details" from you so I could assist you better! Is it a name brand like HP or Dell? Custom case? Can you take a picture and post maybe? I am guessing there will a be latch or lever you move that releases the drive. 

#6 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm trying to get the 500GB hard drive out of the case right now. But I can't seem to figure out how to unscrew it. I know the hard drive is at the very very bottom of the case, and there appears to be four screw holes on the bottom, with only two of those holes having screws in them. I'm ASSUMING that these are the screws which keep the 500GB hard drive in place.

That's all fine and good, but there's a slight problem: These don't appear to be regular flat-head or philips-head screws. The wholes almost appear circular. None of my screwdrivers work to get them out.

What tool do I need to get these screws out so I can switch to a different case?

those are "tamper proof" screws with the head that breaks off during assembly, or maybe a "pop rivet".  they don't want you to repair it yourself, and it probably was cheaper and faster and easier for the assembly line.  sorry bro...

Edited by dna9, 03 May 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm not convinced.  Rivets are often used in the case to hold the thing together, but installing an HDD with rivets or tamper proof screws would be stupidity...

Are you looking at the right place? If the HDD is screwed in, there are standard locations for the screw holes. They are circled in red below... There's 3 on each side and 4 on the underside. Most commonly the side ones are used.

qdNrDuO.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Its a custom black metal case. I have no idea where to look to find the model number.

The HDD absolutely is NOT screwed into the side of the case. There's enough space on each side of the HDD that I can fit my finger in between.

My current build:

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Its a custom black metal case. I have no idea where to look to find the model number.

The HDD absolutely is NOT screwed into the side of the case. There's enough space on each side of the HDD that I can fit my finger in between.

Maybe post a picture of it. Someone might be able to recognize it from the picture.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Can you take photos of the drive cage and post them as attachments?

smax013 beat me to it. :-)

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#11 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

ya, what he said...  ^^^

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

If there is space on the sides of the drive the bottom mounting holes were most likely used.  Odds are there is a way to pull the drive cage out so that you can remove the drive.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

those are "tamper proof" screws with the head that breaks off during assembly, or maybe a "pop rivet".  they don't want you to repair it yourself, and it probably was cheaper and faster and easier for the assembly line.  sorry bro...

When you're referring to a tamper-resistant 'break-away' type of screw, you're talking about summat like this:-

RBoF9lx.png

You can clearly see that the screw head is attached to the main 'head' of the screw by a narrow 'shank'.....which, beyond a very few foot-lbs of torque, simply shears off. These things are designed to never be removed; which, given that hard drives periodically need replacement, doesn't make the remotest bit of sense.

The other suggestion (that of pop-rivets) makes no sense either. TBH, anyone manufacturing stuff in such a manner would soon go out of business, once word about such a glaring design flaw got out.....

We do need a picture of some kind, please. 'Twould help enormously.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 May 2017 - 06:41 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users