Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On ubuntu 16.06 temporaly stack on purple screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dzeta

dzeta

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

Hi to everyone! I am new in this forum, i just came here because i found similar previous post. mybe someone of you already know the answer to my problem!

It is a marginal problem but a bit annoying. When I start my ACER SWIFT 3 pc, it starts for a while in a purple screen. Then i see for a fraction of second the ubuntu logo, at the end it starts normally the login screen. All works fine after.

To be clear,

Turn ON > Purple Screen (few seconds) > Black screen with line command > Ubuntu Logo (half second) > Login Screen > Desktop

I am a bit sad, because with the original windows 10 (that i removed) boot was very fast. I delete disk content and installed ubuntu 16.04 LTS with legacy bios (many problems with uefi).

I tried to give more details as possible, hoping someone of you could help me,

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

The purple screen is normal, its just Ubuntu's splash screen which depending on your hardware can have issues loading.

Dont worry about this, if the system works afterwards its a non issue

As for boot up slowness issues, if using 16.04 I would see if you can update it to iron out any boot issues.

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 May 2017 - 07:17 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 dzeta

dzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for your answer,

As for boot up slowness issues, if using 16.04 I would see if you can update it to iron out any boot issues.

sounds cool. how to do it? is there any easy way?

does it worth, if loading takes only seconds?

#4 dzeta

dzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

The purple screen is normal, its just Ubuntu's splash screen which depending on your hardware can have issues loading.

Dont worry about this, if the system works afterwards its a non issue

just wondering, it is a bit ugly to see that purple (empty) screen and then black and ubuntu logo and then again black fastly disappear. it looks like something worng happens.

But yes, at least, everything works really fine

Edited by dzeta, 03 May 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

I am a bit sad, because with the original windows 10 (that i removed) boot was very fast.

Hi dzeta,

Windows 10 has something called "fast boot" which means that it enters a state of hibernation, rather than shut down properly, which is why it appears to boot fast. With fast boot switched off, Windows 10 takes a similar amount of time to boot as one of the (non-lightweight) Linux distros. (Whereas lightweight Linux distros such as Puppy and AntiX, will boot considerably faster than Windows 10.)

just wondering, it is a bit ugly to see that purple (empty) screen and then black and ubuntu logo and then again black fastly disappear. it looks like something worng happens.

Unfortunately this sort of thing is never as reliable on Linux as it is on Windows; consider though that manufacturers design computers to run Windows, whereas Linux is designed to run on computers that are designed to run Windows.

#6 dzeta

dzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hi AI1000, thanks for your answer. 

I agree with you but in this case

consider though that manufacturers design computers to run Windows, whereas Linux is designed to run on computers that are designed to run Windows.

just, much more drivers realeases for windows.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

dzeta, that's the super cool thing about Linux, most of the time (well, at least the Ubuntu based flavors) it's recommended to be connected to the Internet & have any accessories such as wired printers plugged in & turned on, this increases the chances that everything will be plug & play post install. :)

That's why one can perform 3-4 Ubuntu installs, including configuration, versus one Windows version in the same amount of time. Which does requires drivers to be installed in a certain order. Even if a clean install of W10 is performed & the drivers may be shown as newer, it's still best to install those that's on the OEM's site for best function of the particular computer. More often than not, these installs will leave some functions of one's computer, especially notebooks, not working as should, this is what the OEM drivers/packages are for. While some is indeed junk software, there's others that's useful & compared to a decade back, there's much less junk installed than ever, including Java, which 99.5% of Home users doesn't need & now a known security risk. 

With Linux, this junk isn't installed, if a package is needed, it'll often be in the Software Manager, although this will often not include decent 3rd party browsers, such as Google Chrome & the rising Vivaldi, these still must be manually downloaded as a .deb file, which works just like an .exe, only the user must enter their root password to install any software, including updates. There may be a few exceptions to this with the Software Manager. One of the best deals with the Software Manager, are that there's over 70,000 100% no-cost apps to choose from, something for everyone. :thumbup2:

The screen glitch, as long as the Linux OS is running good otherwise, don't worry over, most of mine does the same. Just make sure, as Al mentioned above, that FastBoot is disabled within Windows 10, or face the risk of file corruption & potentially having to reinstall that OS. You can get more details as how to go about this in the Windows 10 section, or search online 'how to disable FastBoot on Windows 10'. We're all different, I find many answers to my own issues faster online than through the creation of a Topic, where some of the answers may not be complete, depending on what needs to be addressed. 

Good Luck with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Added info in bold.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 09 May 2017 - 04:22 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 dzeta

dzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

Thank you very much, you have been all very informative!

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:25 AM

dzeta, you're quite welcome, that's what we're here for! :)

Should you have any other questions, feel free to create future Topics when necessary, we very much look forward to having you here. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 dzeta

dzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:27 AM

Thanks! Should I close this discussion in some way? i feel satisfied for the answer

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:29 AM

Thanks! Should I close this discussion in some way? i feel satisfied for the answer

dzeta, no action is necessary, the Topic will fizzle on it's own, or you may have later concern over the very same issue. :)

Unlike many other Tech Forums, we don't have a 'Mark as Solved' or close topics, unless Staff feels the need to do so. 

Thanks for letting us know that you're satisfied with the outcome. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users