Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Naive about bundled software from Google ie Bytedefender

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coldtowelneeded

coldtowelneeded

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:25 AM

Whilst downloading Chrome I allowed it to download Bytedefender. Expecting that Google would not bundle sus. software. Wrong.

It 'found' a exe on my pc that was classed as malware [Application Verifier ] which i eventually deleted without buying the product.

Following I did a Malwarebytes scan which found nearly 6000 assorted nasties originating from ByteDefender!!

I would appreciate any knowleedge on this subject.  Needless to say, I will not download bundles even from Google, in the future.  Not that I now trust Chrome either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

You have to be very careful where you download free software...Many third-party hosting sites bundle junk software in their download packages as a way to increase vendor revenue and recoup business costs through the distribution of third party software. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads...see Third-Party Bundling.

These bundled packages, installers and downloaders can often be the source of various issues and problems to include adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page/search engine, and cause user profile corruption. As such many of them are classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

SnapFiles, a reputable download hosting site, publishes an Adware Bundle Policy

Some free products come bundled with 3rd party toolbar or product offers, which are usually presented to the user during the installation process. If you have downloaded any software in recent time, you have probably seen this offers. These sponsored offers help developers to keep software free while recovering some of their development costs. If we notice a sponsor offer during our review installation, we will mark the listing to make you aware of the fact. If you are reluctant to installing promotional offers or toolbars, you should pay attention during the installtion process and make sure to uncheck any boxes that authorize the sponsored install...

Some examples of the toolbar and installer bundles we usually accept are:
• Google toolbar
• Ask.com toolbar
• Yahoo! toolbar
• Open Candy
• Bing
• Conduit
• InstallMonetizer
• InstallCore

The safest practice is to use the vendor's official home site or an authorized mirror...but in some cases, they too will redirect you to another hosting site which practices bundling or uses confusing advertisements resulting in downloading software you did not intend to download. In fact even if you download and install legitimate software from a direct source it is still possible for the vender to bundle unwanted software into the package and you may not be aware.

These are popular and safe third-party download hosting sites for software:
* BleepingComputer Downloads
* BleepingComputer Security Tool Downloads
* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles
* Softpedia
* TechSpot
* FilePuma
* Gizmos Freeware
* Ninite

More information and Best practices for downloading software can be found in this topic:
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Google Chrome installer isn't bundled with anything when you download it from the official website. So you most likely downloaded it from a third-party and what quietman said followed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users