Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different computer seem identical (or almost)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Does anyone know why these computer vary in price and are listed and sold as separate computers?

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-1920x1080-i7-7500U-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B06VSXC2QV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY2RSAR/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-i7-7500U-graphics-Bluetooth-802-11ac/dp/B01MZIARUP

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Performance-Laptop-i7-7500U-Bluetooth/dp/B06XP59X7W

Edited by bcmo, 02 May 2017 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

They looks to be either the same computer or very, very similar computers. It is impossible to tell for sure if they are all the same computer as not all of them list an actual ASUS model number. They do seem to have all the same key specs...i.e. Intel i7-7500U 2.7 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM (all but the 2nd listing clearly state that it is DDR 4 RAM although the 3rd listing does say DDR4 in two places, but DDR3 in another), and a 256 GB SSD. All listings but the 2nd one clearly indicate they have 802.11ac wireless and all have the same posts...1 USB 3.1, 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1 HDMI, 1 ethernet, and 1 headphone (although listing #1 lists 2 USB 3.0 ports)...listing #2 says nothing about the ports. The pictures looks to be the same for all 4 listings except listing #2 is missing the two pure side views. From those sides views in all listings from #3, they seem to have the same ports, but they do not quite match the listing of ports (the side views also show a VGA port and they show three USB-A ports, which would match the list of USB ports from listing #1 of 1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0). Two of the three listings (last two) do list the graphics as Intel HD 620, while listing #1 does not have the "620" and listing #2 says nothing.

At a minimum, they are all different sellers who created different listings. In other words, none of these listing are actually sold by Amazon. They are all independent sellers listing their items for sale through Amazon. They all are taking advantage of the Amazon Prime system where Amazon holds their products in Amazon's warehouses and Amazon ships them, but they are still technically all being sold by third party sellers through Amazon. This is common. While for many items there is an official Amazon listing (i.e. sold through Amazon) that then has "other ways to buy" (i.e. other sellers offering the item new or used or refurbished) through that same listing, there are many times where the same product might have a number of listing that appear in the search due to third party sellers creating their own, separate listing. When that happens, think of Amazon as like the old "classified" section of newspapers where they are just listing the items for sale (for a fee) and facilitating the sale of the item (it can go further with the Prime program where Amazon keeps the items in their warehouses and ships them...for a fee).

Beyond that, they could be slightly different models, but they do appear to be the same. The only way to know for sure if they are the same would be to order all 4 and compare all 4 physically yourself. The next best way would be to contact all 4 sellers and ask for a model number, but there you are still relying on them to tell you accurate information, which they should have done on their item pages to begin with.

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

What determined which sellers were put together on the same listing and which separate? (Since each individual listing has multiple sellers as well.)

Another question:

The next best way would be to contact all 4 sellers and ask for a model number, but there you are still relying on them to tell you accurate information, which they should have done on their item pages to begin with.

Interesting why all the separate sellers omitted the model number specifically for this computer.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

This is exactly why I think Amazon is just a huge mess through which I can't wrap my head around. The whole website is literally the definition of 'clutter'.

For what it's worth, I think all 4 PCs are the same and you should buy the one which is from the most reputable seller/has the best feedback. If all 4 are the same in this regard as well, buy the one which is the cheapest - worst case scenario, you'll just have to return it.:)

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

What determined which sellers were put together on the same listing and which separate? (Since each individual listing has multiple sellers as well.)

My best guess is that each seller might do a search for the computer they are trying to sell just like you did when presumably trying to buy. They then have to pick one to use as their listing. The same confusion that you are experiencing is likely face them and impacted which one they picked.

And as to how some of those other listings first came to be, some might not have even searched...i.e. had this computer to sell and just created a listing without seeing if their was a listing they could already use. Or if they did search, the listing they found was not clear enough for them to know if their computer was the same as that listing, so rather than use that existing listing, they created their own.

Those are speculations on my part. You would have to ask the individual sellers to know for sure.

Another question:

The next best way would be to contact all 4 sellers and ask for a model number, but there you are still relying on them to tell you accurate information, which they should have done on their item pages to begin with.

Interesting why all the separate sellers omitted the model number specifically for this computer.

Again, it is speculation on my part, but I would assume all sellers are not fully computer savvy and thus might not know how to figure out the model number. Not all companies make it easy to determine the computer model. And many computer makers have tons of computer models that are confusing.

And not all sellers sell stuff full time on a site like Amazon. Some do and run very sophisticated operations. For other, it is a hobby or side business, thus they may not have yet learned the best things to put on a listing.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

This is exactly why I think Amazon is just a huge mess through which I can't wrap my head around. The whole website is literally the definition of 'clutter'.

All depends on how you want to use Amazon. You can filter results such that you only get results that show stuff sold by Amazon itself if you want. Of course, that then eliminates a lot of products as there are a lot of things that Amazon does not sell directly itself.

And it is a matter of how one likes to shop. Some people like to find specialty stores or websites as those sites will then eliminate a lot of things that they don't care about. Some people don't like to shop online at all.

The advantage of Amazon is that you can find pretty much anything (legal) on it with exceptions (for example, you cannot sell guns on Amazon).

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Even after refinement I find it hard to understand the website. Of course, that could just be me. For example, I was looking for a brand new iPhone 5S factory-unlocked, off-contract, 16GB, in Silver and I put in all the filters, yet I got some obscure search results, such as screen protectors for the iPhone. When I finally found what appeared to be the product I was looking for, the picture below which says, 'Certified Refurbished Smartphones', confused me, since in the filter options, under condition, I had put in, 'New'. Now I wasn't sure whether this is just an ad or does it mean that the device is refurbished, even though both the description and the title point otherwise. At this point, I become too overwhelmed and quit using Amazon.
It's safe to say that when it comes to technologies, I prefer shopping directly from the manufacturer.:)
DURM-40AF85E91DAEB81F._CB527929201_.jpg

Edited by Just_One_Question, 03 May 2017 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users