Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VLC Playlist: The What for and the How?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toto_Too

Toto_Too

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

I've known about the existence of playlists, but I've never used the function.  In fact, I'm not even sure that that the playlist function can be used like I THINK it can be used or that I hope it can be used.  So, I want to find out what exactly a playlist is and IF it can be used like I'm hoping it can be used.

Since I no longer have a cassette player, but still have tons of great music on my cassettes that I don't have on CDs, I started recreating that music collection on my Flash Drive via the YouTube downloading route.

I already have many YouTubes downloaded and organized in folders as per music genre, decade and artist.  Here is what I'm wondering:  For example --- in my Huey Lewis & the News folder I have 3 sub folders, one each for 3 different albums.  NOW ... is there such a thing as that with the playlist function I can fix it so that by double clicking on one VLC icon in that sub folder, it will play ALL of the songs in that sub folder in the order that I had the songs on the cassette?  You know ... instead of having to double click on each song's VLC icon as I have to do currently?  Yeah, as it stands right now, I cannot have an entire album play from a folder without having to manually start each next song when the previous one ends.

CAN this be done with the playlist function.  And of course, I want it to be permanent, activated by the double clicking of an icon.  I don't want to have to set up a playlist EVERY time that I want to play an entire album from a folder in my Flash Drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

https://www.google.com/#q=make+playlist+in+VLC

Louis

#3 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Thanks, Louis.  I'll check those Google hits out and see if one of them hits the bullseye. 

#4 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

UPDATE:  I tried the Toms Guide and that did the trick.  It was easy.  I already created several playlists and they worked great.  :clapping:

The only thing I don't know yet is whether the playlists will be truly portable.  For example: I have my YouTubes and their respective Playlists saved in my Flash Drive.  On THIS computer, my Flash Drive happens to have the designation of J:Drive.  However, like when I go use my sister's High Speed Internet, on her laptop, my Flash Drive has the designation of I believe E:Drive.  At this instant I have no idea whether VLC Media Player and the Playlists will compensate for that difference in Drive designation depending on the different computers.  I'll find out the next time I use my sister's laptop.

Edited by Toto_Too, 04 May 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users