Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 antares4s

antares4s

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Windows 10 in my humble opinion is so confusing and loaded with things we will never use and its a pain to learn to deal with it intelligently.    We don't want just an introduction to the Operating System but detailed information on how to work with it.  There are tons of book available but usually there is one that most technicians will recommend at the basic to intermediate level.

With Windows XP I knew how and where everything was and the OS worked just fine.  Now we have Windows 10 and its a mystery.  Like having to learn everything all over again from scratch.  OK guys what is the recommended Bible for Windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

I guess we're flip sides of the same coin, at least as far as our opinions on ease of learning how to use and administer Windows 10.

I absolutely agree that Windows 10 is loaded with features I will never use, but that's been true for me as far back as Windows 7.

I have found Windows 10, on the whole, relatively easy to learn and mostly because of the help I've received in this venue coupled with the one new feature in Windows 10 that I'd give my eye-teeth to have had on earlier versions of Windows:   Search functionality in Settings.

If you don't know where something is the search feature in settings makes it remarkably easy to find it and Microsoft has done a commendable job with having lots of synonyms for the same function work in the search to get you where you need to go.

Between that, and the ongoing availability of both Control Panel and the "God Mode" folder (though with the "invisible name" issue still unresolved), I've found that Windows 10 is very similar to it's predecessors.

Unfortunately I don't have any reference recommendations in the form of a book.  I am far more inclined toward forum and/or web searches that I focus on what I need to do at the time I need to do it.  I haven't come dry often, and when I have posting a question here or elsewhere has gotten me the answer(s) I needed in fairly short order.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

I have few Windows 10 tutorials you may want to have look if you like.

List of Windows Tutorials

Posted Image

#4 antares4s

antares4s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

Ok I'll give you two guys an example of a situation I encountered.

We are all familiar with the APP screen.  Mine used to be full size now its about 2/3 the size of a full screen and nothing I tried will enlarge the screen.

Second issue.  On that screen there was a listing or all your app in alphabetical order along the left hand side.  Once I got the screen back to full size that listing disappeared.  The APP screen will changed appearance between the APPS and the Listing but not both on the same screen.  Those seem to be the only two options available which I know isn't the case.  Where is my original screen?  This is just one of the many headaches I have with Windows 10.  I prefer the old XP.  I knew how that OS worked.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Are you referring to the Start Menu, because it sounds like you are?

If you go to Settings, Personalization, Start Pane you can control all of those things, toggling each (whether full screen or partial screen, whether the apps list appears or not, whether recently added appear separately or not, etc.) to your preference.

Otherwise you need to clarify what you mean by "APPS screen".

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

This is just one of the many headaches I have with Windows 10.  I prefer the old XP.  I knew how that OS worked.

In other words, you're experiencing the same learning curve that we all have when we've transitioned from virtually any version of Windows to the next one.  I've gone through every version of Windows since there was Windows, and I've felt precisely what you're feeling.

I am not discounting your frustration, but you've pinpointed the source of it in your final sentence.  Unless you wish to remain static, and not just in regard to Microsoft Windows but all technology, these occasional painful learning curves are wholly predictable once every few years.  Learning to accept this and allowing yourself the occasional venting, but only occasional, while working through the kinks makes life much easier.  Once you "come out the other side" you won't remember much of the learning curve in all likelihood.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Ok I'll give you two guys an example of a situation I encountered.

We are all familiar with the APP screen.  Mine used to be full size now its about 2/3 the size of a full screen and nothing I tried will enlarge the screen.

Second issue.  On that screen there was a listing or all your app in alphabetical order along the left hand side.  Once I got the screen back to full size that listing disappeared.  The APP screen will changed appearance between the APPS and the Listing but not both on the same screen.  Those seem to be the only two options available which I know isn't the case.  Where is my original screen?  This is just one of the many headaches I have with Windows 10.  I prefer the old XP.  I knew how that OS worked.

I have been using Windows for a couple of decades and I have never heard of an app screen. What is an app screen and what does it do?

OTOH, I sat down at a computer with XP on it the other day and I could not figure it out. The things that are so simple and intuitive in Windows 10 I had no clue how to do in Windows XP.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 02 May 2017 - 05:41 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 antares4s

antares4s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Well I guess what I thought was obvious is not.  The App screen as I call it is the screen you get once you click the Start button.  Its the screen where all your Apps are located in the form of those boxes.  I called it that because its where all your applications boxes and showing. 

well mine got stuck at 2/3 size and the corresponding list on the left hand side disappeared.  Now I  can have either the lists of Apps or the screen with the App boxes but not both but it is back at full size just with only those two options

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

If you cannot show your app list plus a selected number of start menu tiles on the Start Menu, and you have carefully reviewed the settings I pointed you to and tried tweaking them, then something's wrong.

If that's the case, then see:

~ Brian Vogel

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,942 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Well I guess what I thought was obvious is not.  The App screen as I call it is the screen you get once you click the Start button.  Its the screen where all your Apps are located in the form of those boxes.  I called it that because its where all your applications boxes and showing. 

well mine got stuck at 2/3 size and the corresponding list on the left hand side disappeared.  Now I  can have either the lists of Apps or the screen with the App boxes but not both but it is back at full size just with only those two options

I would call that the "start menu."  I agree with Brian, you might have a bad installation so perform the scans that Brian mentioned.

As an aside, Like I said earlier, I have been using Windows for a couple of decades and this screen has always been called the start menu. https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/11/10923808/microsoft-windows-start-menu-20-years-visual-history

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,942 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

I use my start menu full screen with a custom display of the apps and programs and files that I use the most. Windows 10 allows almost unlimited configuration of the start menu. I sure hope that you get this figured out because I think that you will love Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Everything to need to know how to do on Win 10 in handy alphabetical order

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html?s=f4062614373163a34a946cc5e4190a28

Not sure if this is what you are meaning but this is listed under 'S'

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2150-resize-start-menu-windows-10-a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users