Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable ISO Image file -- How to?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

I have an ISO image of Windows and wish to create a disk that will boot and run automatically just like a bought install disk.  I've never had occasion to give this any thought and am a bit bewildered.  I found a free program, ISO Image Burner, [ http://www.isoimageburner.com/ ] that seems to be what I need. But I'm not sure what exactly it is that I'm supposed to do.

Do I need to provide both the Windows ISO and a boot program? That's what I don't understand. Is the "boot" part a little program that the software puts on the front of the Windows ISO, then burns it that way? Or is whatever code that induces booting likely already provided as part the image burning program? I can't find any instructions. Some understanding of how that actually works would be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time. You folks have helped me lot.   :guitar:  

Old Feller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

What operating system are you using on your PC ? Eg Win 7?

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

xp pro, s.p. 3

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

When it comes to "being bootable" the media itself (whether CD/DVD or USB) has to be in a format that allows this.   ISO files (disc image files, essentially) themselves do not, but when they are correctly burned to disc or transferred to a USB drive they are written out in a format that allows the computer to boot from them.

Your system is so old that it almost certainly has BIOS (as opposed to the newer UEFI) and somewhere during the "black screen" portion of your boot process you are going to see something across the bottom of the screen with regard to hitting some function key (usually F2 or F12, but not always) to either change the boot order temporarily for this boot or to change it in BIOS, which would make the change permanent until you went in again and changed it back.

From all appearances (as I have not used it myself) the utility to which you posted the link should burn an ISO file to optical media (CD/DVD) such that it is bootable.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Yes, I changed the boot order. Now I'm having problems burning the ISO. I keep getting error 921.

I'll try it if I can overcome this. Thanks for the help.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Then I'd try a different utility:

CD Burner XP

Anyburn

InfraRecorder

and ImgBurn 

are all good, free utilities.  I have no idea what a 921 error is just by number.

I ask the following in a completely non-snarky way:  Are you certain the optical drive on your machine has write capability?   Depending on the age of the machine and the drive itself it may be read-only.

You could also try taking the ISO on a thumb drive with you to someone else's machine and burning it there.   Older drives often get very cranky about writing long before they do so with regard to reading.   I've had a laptop that will still read CD and DVD flawlessly but hasn't been able to write to CD (which is all the drive was designed to do) for ages now.

Edited by britechguy, 02 May 2017 - 10:55 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Can you verify the error code? 9216 is an hardware error. I could find no reference to error 921.

#8 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

Yes I used to use this computer to burn CDs. It's definitely CD-r w / dvd-r w.  But it's been a few years since it was used. I wonder if the burn head (or whatever it's called) could just be dusty...  I'll try a thumb drive and those other programs.

-------------------------

Yes John it says 'error 921'. Not sure what to make of it. This cropped up on my search   -   http://www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=921

-------------------------

by the way, another problem has cropped up. I wanted to use system restore to get rid of a lot of trash from yesterday, but now it has stopped working. Can malware cause that? The system acts normally, then restarts as per normal, but says "restore incomplete Nothing has been changed...." Tried several times with different dates but got the same results.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

System Restore has always been at least somewhat flaky, and the further back you go the more "consistently flaky" it is.

I have had system restores fail in the past on more than one occasion and given the age of your system, and the strong possibility based upon what you've recently said that there could be a raft of Windows Updates that were never applied, this just adds to the range of ways system restore might fail to work.

#10 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

Yes there were definitely updates that were never applied. This system went unused for about two years.

#11 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:48 AM

Update:  I uninstalled the drivers for the CD/DVD unit and then re-installed updated drivers. It worked after that. I used ImgBurn, which I really like.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Great!!   You have now burned your first ISO file to optical media.

Now we'll both have to forget that pretty quickly as optical media disappears and USB media quickly takes its place.

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Great!!   You have now burned your first ISO file to optical media.

Now we'll both have to forget that pretty quickly as optical media disappears and USB media quickly takes its place.

And here I am, feeling like I am in some ultra-secured Government facility, with my 3.5-inch Floppy-drive.:lmao:

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

JOQ:  If you're using a 3.5" floppy then you are ultra-secure, since you're probably one of the five extant 3.5" floppy drives surviving.

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Haha, yeah, probably!:lmao: It's not that use it, or have ever needed it particularly much, it's just that my computer was from that era of uncertainty of whether or not CDs & DVDs would 'make it' as the primary storage of digital information.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 11 May 2017 - 10:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users