Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 1060 causing boot and monitor recognition issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

I recently installed an EVGA GTX 1060 in my computer, but since installing it, I've run into a few problems with my machine.

First, on every boot the POST hangs for two minutes on code B2 (Legacy option ROM initialize). I've read that BIOS updates tend to fix this but my mobo hasn't had a BIOS update available since 2014. I have also tinkered with (and fully reset) the BIOS settings in an attempt to get the machine to boot properly. After the hang, the machine reboots into Windows properly...

...which is where the second issue comes in. After boot, DisplayPort is not recognized by the system. My vertical HDMI monitor comes on, but neither of the two (daisy-chained) DP displays are recognized. When I turn the main DP display off, the hardware disconnect sound plays. When I turn it back on, sometimes it doesn't reconnect, and sometimes it does but with a crazy monitor configuration. Physically disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor does not correct the issue. I have to shut the machine down and power it back on to have any hope of a correct monitor configuration (and even then I have to power cycle the main monitor for it to be recognized).

These problems don't occur when only HDMI is connected at boot, but does occur if DisplayPort is connected in any combination (single monitor, multi, with and without HDMI).

I have tried disabling DisplayPort MST and disconnecting the daisy-chained display but it does not seem to help.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H. None of these issues occur when my GTX 650 Ti Boost from Gigabyte is installed.

At this point it seems like my options are to upgrade my mobo (and therefore my CPU and possibly RAM as well) or to return/sell the GPU. I'm really hoping there is another option. I REALLY don't want to have to go through another RMA process after having just spent over a month waiting for a replacement PSU from Corsair...

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Your power supply is more than 400w, correct?

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Yes, it is 750w.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

See if this helps you.

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/57998-new-gtx-1070-display-ports-not-working.html?s=e90dafe7e74c80c1d0385e3af6089ebd

#5 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

I just tried swapping out my DisplayPort cable for one that definitely supports 1.2. I disconnected the second DP display so that only the main DP display and HDMI we're connected. The problem persists.

As I wrote this, the machine hung on POST for a couple minutes, followed by a reboot and only the HDMI display was detected. I had to power cycle the DP display twice for it to be detected.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

If this option is available in your bios, try switching the PCI ROM to legacy mode and see if that works for you

#7 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

Already tried that, to no avail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users