Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista to Linux

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

As much as I really don't want to and don't like what Linux systems I have used in the past (mostly because they are incomparable with my games) it seems I might have to put one on my old Vista system. On another forum they said puppy linux. However, I went to the site and there was around 4 or 5 different kinds of puppy.. haha made my head explode trying to figure it all out. So... here is what the poor old thing has;

CPU = Intel Celeron M 520 @ 1.60GHz

Ram = 512MB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz

Motherboard = Gateway

Graphics = Intel 945GM Express Chipset

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

You are going to need Puppy on that computer. I would recommend Tahrpup based off Ubuntu vs Slacko. I'm sure BC member Mike_Walsh who is very familiar with Puppy will add his views too. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 May 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#3 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

So I have another question while waiting for Mike_Walsh or anyone else. What security is needed for puppy? Is it the same for each type?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

No security app is needed. You do not get Windows malware on a linux OS. About the only thing required is to activate the firewall.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

You ran Vista on 512 MiB of ram?

#6 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

Yea and it ran great

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hello, SolusUmbra. Welcome to BC, and to the Linux & Unix sub-forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.  :)

Mm. Well, now; a Vista machine, and half a gig of RAM. Like Nick, I didn't think that was possible! I'm surprised at that; normally, Vista machines shipped with at least a gig, if not 2. I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down a 520 Celeron M, too; according to my sources, the 1.6 GHz Celeron M was a 380, Dothan core.....but that's not that important.

The problem is that 512 MB of RAM. At least you're in a better position than I was, when I first started experimenting with Linux on a very elderly Dell Inspiron lappie.....an original 1100, from 2002/3. I only had 128 MB to begin with; wasn't long before I added another gig or so..... Still, I converted a mate's very sick Vista machine to Puppy a couple of years ago, and he's as happy as a sandboy now.

Normally, I would agree with John, and recommend Tahrpup 6.05. It's my go-to Pup under most circumstances, and I usually recommend to install it in 'frugal' mode. This ensures that Puppy will load entirely into RAM, and run from there; RAM being the very fastest component of any machine. Phil Broughton, its developer, recognised that most people's experiences with Linux tend to be permanently coloured by their first encounters with it.....which is why he went out of his way to ensure that absolutely everything works, OOTB.

What d'you actually envisage doing with this old girl? Just browsing, e-mails, listening to music.....that kind of thing? Or did you have anything more complex in mind.....like video processing, or complex graphics apps?

That's the kind of information that's of more use to me at this juncture, so that I can recommend the best Puppy for you. And just so you know, there's a lot more than 5 Pups; there's somewhere over 300 Pups that are available for immediate download and use, as of this moment..! That's because the Puppy community positively encourages users to develop and 're-master' their own 'Puplets'; Puppy includes all the tools needed to perform this very process. There's Pups that have been developed for just about every scenario you can possibly imagine.

In normal circumstances, were your machine to possess a couple of gigs or so of RAM, I would recommend that you let some of the others here help you with an install of Linux Mint, which is the most popular distro out there at the moment.....but you're seriously 'RAM-challenged', I'm afraid. So, IMHO, Puppy is indeed the best prospect for this old girl....

Let us have some idea of what you'd like to do with this machine, and.....we'll take it from there.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 May 2017 - 05:39 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

HAHA I couldn't stop laughing "RAM-challenged" I'm going to have to remember that one. For the most part its going to be simply, internet, email, music, maybe some videos. I'm not sure but I read somewhere that linux might work with netflix or am I asking to much? The only other thing would be if I could run some really old game nothing new and fancy.

I downloaded the Slacko and Tahrpup just to play around with them and I have to say I felt completely lost however, I like the look of Slacko but for some reason I like the Tahrpup better, but I don't understand why. Both from the CD ran very smooth.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

You ran Vista on 512 MiB of ram?

Minimum requirements were 512 MB of RAM apparently, Nick.....though I dunno which version; it doesn't specify.

https://techjourney.net/windows-vista-minimum-and-recommended-system-requirements/

My mate's machine has 2 GB, and it used to struggle.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 May 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,380 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

I downloaded the Slacko and Tahrpup just to play around with them and I have to say I felt completely lost however, I like the look of Slacko but for some reason I like the Tahrpup better, but I don't understand why. Both from the CD ran very smooth.

Well done. Did you manage to get on line with Puppy Linux?

Mike

It may have been Windows Vista home basic.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hi, SolusUmbra.

Ah! Well, if you've already had them running from CD, that's one hurdle out of the way; at least we shan't need to mess about trying to do a LiveUSB stick...

You've two options, actually. You can either wipe Vista completely off the map, and perform a 'full' install of Tahrpup to the hard drive.....or you could do an install to a USB stick, and run Puppy from there. Puppy was designed to run in just this fashion, right from the word go.

However, since I'm concerned by that 512 MB of RAM, I'm going to recommend the former course of action; a wipe, and 'full' install of Tahrpup to the hard drive. You could, if your hard drive is big enough, install Puppy alongside Vista, so you could choose which one to use at boot. But that means shrinking Vista's partition to make room.....and where XP was happy to have its partition shrunk, Vista complains mightily if you even attempt it (and it needs to be done with the Windows system tools). 

Which I have no experience of using. I used XP for 14 years, near enough.....but the only experience I have of Vista was when I wiped it off my mate's hard drive, prior to installing Pup for him!

BTW, NetFlix is indeed possible (I myself package some of the Chromium-based browsers which will run it in Puppy), but again, that RAM is going to be the sticking point. It'll run slowly, that's for sure. You'd be better off if you were able to add another 512 MB to 1 GB of RAM; it would help matters immensely.

What d'you want to do?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 May 2017 - 06:04 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

I didn't try to get online with either one because I didn't know how security on Linux worked, However it did set up my wifi driver (that I was missing on Vista) and it found my internet all I had to do was enter the password.

I answered you post about what I wanted to do but I think it got passed over, its number 8.

I need to wipe Vista completely, it is missing very other drivers besides my wifi one and has no security programs and wont update anything at all. This is the first time in about 4 or 5 years since it has been turned on.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,380 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

The only other thing would be if I could run some really old game nothing new and fancy.

No Windows software ( .exe ) will run on Linux,

I didn't try to get online with either one because I didn't know how security on Linux worked,

You are safer running Puppy out of the box on line than you are running a fully updated Windows system.

However it did set up my wifi driver (that I was missing on Vista) and it found my internet all I had to do was enter the password.

Well done again, that is another hurdle you managed to get over all by yourself,

#14 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

I thought with WINE some .exe would run.

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hi again.

Well, further research has turned up your processor; as you say, a Celeron M 520.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron_M/Intel-Celeron%20M%20520%20LF80537NE0251M%20(BX80537520).html

Better & better. It's 64-bit, and you've not only got SSE3 instructions, but the supplemental SSE3's, too. That'll make NetFlix much easier, believe me. 

Right. I'm going to recommend you wipe Vista completely, and do a FULL install of Tahrpup64 6.05. This will also enable the use of the most up-to-date versions of Chrome (which is 64-bit only these days). I package this for the Puppy community, too; I've used Chrome right since the very first 'beta' release, back in 2008!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107301

If 32-bit Tahrpup found your wireless card, then Tahr64 will, too, guaranteed. The Linux kernel is by this stage nearly 95% nothing but drivers.....which is why you rarely need to install drivers in Linux, 'cos they're already there.

Are you happy with that recommendation? If so, then download/burn Tahr64 to CD, and take it for a test run....see what you think of it, and whether it likes your hardware or not!

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users