Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Series of W10 Desktops Not Booting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PhillyPhotogMG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

I am stumped here.  I received ~60 PCs about 9-12 months ago to image and deploy out.  About 6 months ago, I finalized the image and started deployments.  I placed out ~20 of the machines, without any major issues.

I just (1 month ago) imaged up the remaining 40 machines, again without issue, was able to boot them, add them to the domain, have Group Policy Install managed software, perform windows updates.  Then suddenly, without a known cause or reason, each of these machines stopped booting successfully.  They freeze up on the Dell UEFI Boot Logo, without the spinning pinwheel, and eventually go to a solid blue screen that says "A required device isn't connected or cannot be accessed. Your pc needs to be repaired", which then times out and the system shuts down

Some things to know:

• None of the previously deployed systems ever exhibited a behavior like this
  • No system that was recently imaged has escaped this issue
  • All systems are part of the original, identical batch of PCs (same models)
  • We are running Windows 10 Pro v1511
  • Systems can boot successfully when secure boot is turned off (UEFI left on)
  • Some (possibly all) of the systems displayed a TPM message during reboots (A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, and allow creation of an operator authentication value that permits temporary deactivation of the TPM This action will turn on the computer's TPM (Trusted Platform Module)

Ores F10 to enable, activate, and allow creation of an operator authentication value that permits temporary deactivation of the TPM Pres Esc to reject this request and continue
    • Most systems had F10 pressed.  Some timed out before I could press F10, and I assume when the Esc route
  • Spoke with manufacturer (Dell) and they thought it may be the TPM version (Systems shipped with 1.2).  They had me update the firmware to 2.0.  No change. 
  • No changes made to the image since I started imaging
  • No error codes in Event Logs referring to what is going on.  No evidence that system is even having failed boots
  • Systems are Dell 3040 Micros
  • Systems came with Win 7 on mechanical drives.  They were upgraded in house to additional RAM and SSDs (all part of original purchase)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

I'm just guessing here, but I've seen similar things happen w/W10 where I work.

I'd suggest trying a repair install of W10 on one of the systems to see if it helps

At work we just run setup.exe from the Desktop, and tell the installer to NOT replace any existing programs/files/settings.

This fixes a lot of problems that we've been scratching our heads over.

Here's a link to a "how-to":  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users