Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

So, I dusted off my old Windows Vista laptop and am trying to get it running again but am coming a crossed some problems.

1. Can't connect wireless, says there is no adapter install but there is

2. Wont check for any updates (just read about the end of support, would that cause this issue?)

3. The internet browser is touch and go (lots of crashing) so if I can get it to work long enough I'll post the information on it.

Processor: Intel ® Celeron ® M CPU; 520 @ 1.60Hz

Ram; 512MB

System; Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2

System just keeps crashing, best to wipe and start with a fresh install?

Edited by SolusUmbra, 01 May 2017 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

I would suggest either upgrading your computer's parts, such as RAM, and/or freshly installing Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista or Puppy Linux.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 01 May 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#3 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Seems I lost my install CD for vista, anyone know where I might be able to download it? I still have my product Key number.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

So, I dusted off my old Windows Vista laptop and am trying to get it running again but am coming a crossed some problems.

1. Can't connect wireless, says there is no adapter install but there is

2. Wont check for any updates (just read about the end of support, would that cause this issue?)

3. The internet browser is touch and go (lots of crashing) so if I can get it to work long enough I'll post the information on it.

Hi SolusUmbra:

The following might help with issues # 2 and # 3 as long as you can still make a hardwire connection to your router and connect to the internet.

If the initial "Checking for updates..." phase of Windows Update runs constantly for several hours (or even days) without throwing an error message then this is a known issue for Vista SP2 that first appeared in August 2015.  See the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum for a possible workaround.  Those instructions should get you patched up to and including the last batch of security updates that was released for this OS on April 11, 2017.  Several Vista SP2 users with this problem are posting in this forum in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates".

The only major browser that is fully supported on Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 is Firefox ESR (extended support release).  You can download offline installers for the latest Firefox ESR (currently v52.1.0) at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/.  Your 512 MB of RAM and Celeron M CPU (which supports the SSE2 instruction set) appear to meet the minimum system requirements for Firefox ESR v52.x.  The support article Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista notes that:

"Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until September 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista."

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.0 * NS Premium v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 02 May 2017 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users