Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting new comp. soon, system equivalency question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

I'm thinking about getting a new computer; preferably one with more oomph than my clearly-aging gaming laptop. I have seen many systems offered, a few that match the minimum requirements for some games I play from time to time. of those system requirements, the processor seems to be the most important one. My question, therefore, is this: does the processor absolutely HAS to be the exact processor family, or can it be a different processor of equivalent clock speed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

It can be a different processor, not only from a another family, but from a whole other manufacturer. Generally speaking, you should look for the amount of cores that the CPU has and it's clockspeed (as you very well pointed out). Currently, the best and most expensive processors are from these families:

Intel - 'Core i' family, such as (in order from good to best) Intel Core i-3, Intel Core i-5 & Intel Core i-7.

AMD - 'Ryzen' family.

Overall, I would suggest looking for computers with an Intel Core i-5 processor. If you have less money, try looking for an Intel Core i-3 processors. If you have more money, try looking for an Intel Core i-7 processor. And if you are on a tigh budget, try looking for an Intel Pentium 4-core processor. BTW, CPUs of better families usually perform better than ones from lower families even if the ones from the lower families have more cores and a larger clockspeed.
I would also suggest, if money is not an issue, that after the processor, which is the most important part, as you said, you search for computers with 8GB of RAM. After that, look for one which has an SSD. The other parts are not as important as these 3. (BTW, yes, I think that the video card is the 4th most important part, sue me, lol!).

Edit: Ideally, try finding a PC with an Intel Core i-5 processor. 8GB of RAM. And 120-240GB of SSD. It could cost you between ~$500 and ~$1000 and can easily play pretty much every game there is.
That's it.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 01 May 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#3 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

ah, ok! thanks for the info, that certainly clears up a lot of confusion! B)

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

You're welcome!:)
Xw71pRB_700wa_0.gif

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

It can be a different processor, not only from a another family, but from a whole other manufacturer. Generally speaking, you should look for the amount of cores that the CPU has and it's clockspeed (as you very well pointed out).

One thing to note is that do not compare clock speeds between different CPU families (E.g. Don't compare the FX 8350's clockspeed to an i5's as they are both different in terms of architecture)

Intel - 'Core i' family, such as (in order from good to best) Intel Core i-3, Intel Core i-5 & Intel Core i-7.

AMD - 'Ryzen' family.

i3's are obsolete due to the Pentium G4560 which has the exact same number of threads/cores, very similar single core performance but half the price. The i5 is only worth it at the i5 7600K due to great single core performance. Don't go for any other i5's, go for a Ryzen 1500X/1600

i7's are certainly interesting. The only thing holding them up is there tremendous single core grunt versus anything else. You'll want to go for an unlocked "K", more accurately, the 7700K but only do this if you plan going above 70 - 80 FPS (in which there is markedly no difference).

And these observations are without the coming optimizations for Ryzen.

Edit: Ideally, try finding a PC with an Intel Core i-5 processor. 8GB of RAM. And 120-240GB of SSD. It could cost you between ~$500 and ~$1000 and can easily play pretty much every game there is.
That's it. :)

You forgot the Video card which is as, if not, more important than the CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users