Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop automatic updates?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Dooms_Daisy

Dooms_Daisy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

How can I stop Windows 10 from automatically downloading updates on my laptop? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

You cannot.

We have entered the age of Windows As A Service.  It is expected that you will allow updates that Microsoft pushes out to apply.

There exist hacks to prevent this but they've been discussed here in the past and using them defeats the entire design paradigm of Windows As A Service, and if you intend to stay with Windows you need to get accustomed to it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

My question would be....why would anyone want to do this? This could cause security risks that you don't need to deal with.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

My question would be....why would anyone want to do this? This could cause security risks that you don't need to deal with.

And it goes beyond security risks as well.  There is absolutely no good reason to block updates for your operating system, regardless of that operating system, issued by the people who actually are tasked with the "care and feeding" [read: continual maintenance and the attendant fixes and tweaks] of that OS.

The attitude that individual users, or at least the vast majority of them (and I include myself here), are qualified to pick and choose which among the updates issued by the maintainers of the OSes we use should or should not be applied leads to disaster.   I should actually like that since it gets me more business when I have to clean up the messes after the fact, but I don't because the messes would have been largely avoidable in most cases had regular updates been applied as expected.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

0a28fea26ac75b0e755c2d8d215ae718_bleep-th
I have never in my life even seen an original copy of Windows, apart from ones pre-installed on some new computers. The OP is probably from one of those countries where Internet piracy is legal and not frowned upon even the slightest. I swear, even at schools and other government computers suggesting the idea of purchasing an original OS is way out of line. Nobody does it. My guess is that the guy wants to be able to keep his pirated copy of Windows 10 withoutt Microsoft pushing an update that could get him that whole 'Is your Windows Genuine, please enter your license key situation'.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 01 May 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

And it goes beyond security risks as well.  There is absolutely no good reason to block updates for your operating system, regardless of that operating system, issued by the people who actually are tasked with the "care and feeding" [read: continual maintenance and the attendant fixes and tweaks] of that OS.

exceptions... updates that stops your computer until Microsoft figures out that they are responsible and effects a repair.

one finger typing sucks

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

Dan,

With the advent of system health telemetry the kinds of "bad updates" you mention are routinely getting stopped in their tracks after the first machines on which the issues are encountered either automatically report them in some instances or the user does so via the feedback hub.

I have had one, only one, bad update (and it was an early Windows 10 update) in all the time I've been working with Windows.  I know that these do exist, but the fear of them so outweighs their frequency of occurrence that it almost rises to paranoia secondary to belief in urban legend of the constant stream of bad updates.

Compared to my own professional experience with the smoldering heaps, that cannot be repaired in any meaningful sense after the conflagration that causes the collapse (often secondary to failure to consistently apply updates), and the trouble posed by the very rare and getting rarer "bad update" I know which way I will routinely advise clients:   Always apply the updates your OS manufacturer pushes out.  If there's a problem they'll fix it.  These days the fixes are far more rapid than they've ever been in the past.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

How to Defer or Delay Updates in Windows 10

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Freebooter,

This is valuable information.  That being said:

1. It is not applicable to Windows 10 Home, which does not have the same advanced options as Pro and higher versions.
  2. It's still a defer/delay, not stop.

I have no problem with the idea of being able to defer or delay an update, particularly if there is a legitimate concern that it could be problematic on a given piece of hardware.  What the original poster said, though, was "stop."   It is sheer insanity to stop, as in permanently halt, automatic updates to Windows or any other operating system that are being issued by the very entity that is responsible for said operating system and its appropriate care and maintenance in "the real world" environments it operates in.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

I understand @britechguy, i will not advice OP permanently stopping Windows updates. Windows Update is a Microsoft service that's used to provide updates like service packs and patches for the Windows operating system and other Microsoft software.

2GvnEq2.gif

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

0a28fea26ac75b0e755c2d8d215ae718_bleep-th
I have never in my life even seen an original copy of Windows, apart from ones pre-installed on some new computers. The OP is probably from one of those countries where Internet piracy is legal and not frowned upon even the slightest. I swear, even at schools and other government computers suggesting the idea of purchasing an original OS is way out of line. Nobody does it. My guess is that the guy wants to be able to keep his pirated copy of Windows 10 withoutt Microsoft pushing an update that could get him that whole 'Is your Windows Genuine, please enter your license key situation'.

Thanks. Your answer makes a lot of sense and brings a great perspective to this conversation.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

JOQ wrote, in part:  " I swear, even at schools and other government computers suggesting the idea of purchasing an original OS is way out of line. Nobody does it."

Well, I guess that is literally true since virtually any large organization, whether in private enterprise or the public sector, that is not a computer manufacturer themselves tend to buy machines with the OS, typically Windows of the required configuration, pre-installed.

That being said, I have never, ever, in all my years of working in both the public sector and private enterprises, ever seen entities in either engage in software piracy.

I've seen lots of it on the part of individuals, but large entities know only too well that they will be subject to audit and that were piracy to be uncovered the legal ramifications would be far-reaching.

There's a very good reason for the old saw, "There oughta be a law!!"   Without laws and regulations pretty much anything is legal and there's plenty of historical evidence that "the invisible hand" is more than willing to try to grab what doesn't belong to it!

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Thanks. Your answer makes a lot of sense and brings a great perspective to this conversation.

Guys, I wasn't endorsing piracy. I agree with what you all say. I legitimately think that OP maybe wants to stop Windows 10 updates for his PC in order to hide the genuinity of his copy. I am 100% sure that the absolute No.1 thing by a wide margin that tech shops do as a service on many places on Earth is to install pirated copies of Windows 10 on new PCs that have been more cheaply bought with FreeDos. The first thing they tell you afterwards is to avoid updates. Thus, I was led to the suspicion that OP has an illegal Windows copy.
:)

#14 aquilapower

aquilapower

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

@britechguy

You have strong views on the subject and I admire strong views when applied judiciously. I am also strong viewed. I am on my way to a job site near Canberra Australia to deal with a serious problem with the operation of a Solar PV Off Grid Energy Generation system that I installed there in 2014 that has merrily been doing its thing perfectly and without any issues since April 2014, which is great news because the system installed needs to be ultra-reliable. It is the only power source to a farm house.

The occupants are a husband and wife in their late 50's who run a small self-sufficient farm. The 3rd occupant is the woman’s elderly mother, late 80's. They engaged me to design and install their 'critical services supply guaranteed' power plant because that’s what I am well known for. I am an experienced renewable energy systems design engineer with over 40 years’ experience in energy and systems integration, and an important part of the performance monitoring system is a high end notebook connected to the internet by a Static IP SIM and modem. The purpose of the internet connection is for the system to automatically report by FTP, and email, directly to my service technicians (24/7) critically importantly real time performance parameters (including key  system component degradation trends such as individual battery storage bank cells internal resistance reflecting diminishing battery health and impending failures etc etc). I think you are getting the message here Brian.

I am absolutely committed to critical services supply and guarantee it to customers, which is useful in this case because the elderly lady is hooked up (almost always) to a live saving medical device (oxygen dispensing machine). It’s critical that I can set the notebook to work and then be absolutely confident that the bi-synchronous communications it offers me are totally limited to the one app that we have control of and need. This is simply facilitated of course by turning OFF Windows Auto Updates; there is nothing else installed on these notebooks except bare bones Windows and our Machine to Machine communications APP. We have never experienced a single operation issue in 15 years. Except now. You might be picking up by now on where this is heading.

Sorry for the long winded explanation Brian but after all that can you please indicate which category of user you now consider I am in, for having the temerity to ask such a ridiculous; frivolous and anti-social question about auto updating: (1) a criminal involved in piracy (2) an ignorant uneducated unsociable despot, or just possibly (3) simply an ordinary person with a question about how to stop windows auto updates for very explainable and critical reasons about which in your inexperience you have no concept of?

Over to you Brian.

Please consider this as an informative lesson for you Brian going forward and not a criticism of you. Everyday each of us has opportunities to be enlightened about things we have not hitherto experienced.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Only if you live in Germany.  :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/germany-microsoft-agrees-to-stop-forcibly-downloading-windows-upgrades/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users