Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my ASUS P5N-E SLI suitable for Windows 10 64 bit.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 raymondwg

raymondwg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:48 AM

Have an machine with the following specs [ it was built in around 2007 for running XP Pro 64 bit ] CPU Intel Quad core 6600, GPU Nvidia 8800GTX, and 8 Gb Corsair ddr 2 ram.

I have bought an new WD Black hdd and installed Windows 10 64 bit and it seemed to be running fine,  but after a hour or so started to crash quite often. Almost every time it was a different error . I checked the Ram and it is good.  

Would I maybe have to install Windows 7 64 bit first then upgrade to 10 ?

I would hate to scrap the machine as the components are good quality.

Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:34 AM

I have machines of that era running Windows 10 OK & would expect your machine to do so as well (particularly as there is a Windows 10 driver available from Nvidia for the GPU).

Installing Windows 7 then upgrading to Windows 10 would have no effect (other than possibly correcting any Windows 10 problems that a reinstall of Windows 10 would cure anyway).

Your crashes indicate you have a problem - that they start after an hour or so would tend to suggest to me that you may have a hardware / heat problem.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with suggestions for diagnosing your problem - but a machine of that age will probably not be worth spending much money on. 

How thoroughly did you test the RAM? - I usually let Memtest86+ run for about 24 hours if I am testing RAM.

Edited by rqt, 01 May 2017 - 02:41 AM.

#3 raymondwg

raymondwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Hello rqt, thanks for the reply,  I only tested the Ram using the built in Windows Memcheck.  The longest I got the machine to run without crashing was about an hour and a half. When it does run it is fine, very quick [ for its age ] Would really like to avoid having to scrap it. even though I have 2 far, far  higher spec specially built ones that I use. 

Thanks.

Ps  I went onto the ASUS website and found a list of the boards that support Windows 10 and the P5N-E SLI is not one of them !  but you have machines of that era running 10 ok although maybe your boards are different from the P5N-E SLI.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

System Requirements

Louis

#5 raymondwg

raymondwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

Thanks hamiuis,  Would appear that the hardware is more than capable of running Windows 10 64 bit. although the P5N-E SLI is still the grey area as regards suitability.

My main machine is Asus Rampage v5 10, 128 GB Kingston Predator DDR 4 Ram, Intel 6900k, and Palit GTX 1080.  so there not even any Ram that I can "borrow " from there to test out in the problem machine. my second system is 32 Gb Corsair DDR 4 Ram so none of them are DDR 2.

I might just try a fresh install of 10 and see what difference [ if any ] that will make.  Will also clean off and apply some new Arctic cooling paste to see if that improves the situation.

I would be reluctant to scrap it,  but I don't want to spend too much on it with no certainty that it would ever work 100 %.

Regards.

#6 raymondwg

raymondwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Just had a chat with ASUS support and there are no drivers for 10 only up to Vista. It may run, but experience issues. [ well it certainly has issues ]. It was suggested to try flashing the Bios using EZ Flash, but I think that is beyond my capabilities.

might just have to re install the XP 64 bit. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Windows 10 can indeed have issues with older hardware. If your are using any other older device such as a printer drivers for Windows 10 may not be available.

Depending on what you use the computer for you may want to consider a linux distro like Mint. Your computer would be able to run Mint Cinnamon well. You would not need to install it, only run it from the DVD/USB flash drive and ram to determine if it meets your needs.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3181

For your older computer you may be better off running with V17.1 if 18.1 does not run well for you.

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=23

In any case I would avoid using the computer for any online banking or internet purchases. 

#8 raymondwg

raymondwg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

Thanks JohnC_21  I think I will just reinstall the XP64 bit, as the  machine is now  only used for general tasks, and it always proved reliable.   I have my other 2  machines for their specific tasks.

Cheers.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

No problem, thanks for the reply. In the future you may want to boot a linux distro just to give it a run. Good luck on the XP 64bit reinstall. I still keep a XP computer for myself also.

#10 EvelDewarFromHellMI

EvelDewarFromHellMI

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

I am replying from my desktop, one of 2 P5N-E on which I run Windows 10 x64.  This one runs a Q6850, and the other an E8400.  The problems I have faced lately are:

1.) The SSD (after Creators Update) is registered as an HDD, so that Optimization defragments it.  "CMD> winsat diskformal" does not fix it.  So, I had to manually edit the registry, setting RandomReadDiskScore to 500000 (decimal).

2.) The NVidia driver for the GeForce 210 card started generating TDR_failure messages after the fall update, last year.  The only fix I've found so far, has been to edit the registry, and turn off TDR checking.

3.) The NVidia RAID driver stopped working about a year ago.  So, I dropped back from RAID 1 to a single HDD.

So while it can be tedious to keep these old machines running, it is certainly doable.  Right now, I am trying to figure out why the SATA 2 mobo port is connecting to the SATA 3 SSD at 1.5 Gbps instead of the expected 3.0 Gbps.  The fun just never ends.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users