Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newshortcut.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aworrier

aworrier

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

Going through Norton Security history, an item called "newshortcut.exe" was exonerated. I am not sure what this is. Norton picked up after either Firefox or Chrome auto updated but I cannot find any link between newshortcut.exe and those programs just yet. Am I infected with anything? 

The PC is Windows 10 running Norton Security as the real-time antivirus. I've scanned with MBAM, MBAR, and AdwareCleaner and everything came up clean.

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Please make sure the file newshortcut.exe is deleted and follow the below steps.

Download ESET Online Scanner and save it to your desktop

1. Double-click on the ESET Online Scanner icon to launch ESET.

2. Click through the prompts and select “Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.”

3. Click “Scan” and let the tool run.

4. Once done, click the “Save to text file...” Save the file to your desktop and paste the contents into a post.

Download FSS (Farbar Service Scanner) and save it to your desktop.

1. Right-click FSS and select Run as Administrator.

2. Make sure the following options are selected:

Internet Services

Windows Firewall

System Restore

Security Center/Action Center

Windows Update

Windows Defender

Other Services

3. Click Scan and wait until the scan is complete.

A logfile called FSS.txt will be on your desktop.

Paste the contents into a post.

Download SecurityCheck by screen317.

1. Click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions in the box on the screen.

2. Paste the log file contents into a post.

3. Important: If you get an error message, please restart your computer and try again.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users