Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

basic network question: bridging?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rickety_goodman

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

I have a large network setup with 2 computers connected wi-fi through 802.11a, two printers, an IP camera, and a forwarding serial port

connected through 802.11g, and 3 NAS drives connected directly to the Engenius wireless router.

It's working perfectly and I'd like to keep it the way it is.

I recently Ebay-purchased a video server to play with, but Wireshark says that it is set to address

If I disconnect my XP machine from its wireless USB adapter, configure the unused Ethernet2 connector on the back for static with

a gateway of and reboot the XP machine, ZENMAP confirms the IP address and says the following ports are open:

tcp 7    echo

tcp 13  daytime

tcp 21  ftp

tcp 23  telnet

tcp 37  time

I then reconfigured the unused ethernet2 connector back to DHCP, ,disconnected the ethernet cable from the video server, rebooted the computer,

and reconnected the USB wifi adapter.

Everything is back to normal.

I have several D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear routers that I upgraded from sitting around.

What I'd like to do is use one of them to allow me to play with my new toy at, but be able to connect to it through my established network.

I'd like some advice.

Do I configure the old router for a base address and gateway of and plug the video server into a LAN port and the WAN port on the old

router into a LAN port on my router?

Or do I plug the WAN port on my router into a LAN port on the old router along with the video server and then the WAN port on my

old router into my DSL modem?

An added aggravation   if I remember correctly, D-Link routers have the 192.168 address:blocks hardwired in.

Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

Have you considered changing the ip address of the video server?  Should just be a matter of accessing the admin page.

Or change your 192 network to a 10x network.

I have never met a device that didn't allow you to change the subnet being used.  The inability to do so was based on lack of know how or the right access software/procedure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users