Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons have all disappeared

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 QueenFoxy

QueenFoxy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

I don't know what, if anything, I might have done to cause this to happen, but it did happen just yesterrday along with a number of other strange things.

I can no no longer split a screen into two,  as I did before using the windows key + left pointing triangle key.

Calculator now opens to full screen size rather than the little 4"x6" or 7" pop up it used to be.  There are no buttons on screen.  It must be closed from where it is parked on task bar.

There is no right click menu when I right click anywhere on desk top.  

Cannot minimize a reply or new message in Outlook Mail.  There is a minimize button here but message just disappears.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Sounds that you could possibly have tablet mode enabled on your desktop

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

T o see if the problem is "Tablet Mode" click/tap on Settings in the Start Menu, System, then Tablet Mode.  Turn off Tablet mode and see if the problem continues.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

You can also click the notifications icon in the lower right side of your screen (near your clock) When the action center box pops up, you can see if tablet mode is enabled from there

8c7089c887.png

Edited by Joe C, 02 May 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#5 QueenFoxy

QueenFoxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Sounds that you could possibly have tablet mode enabled on your desktop

Thank you, Joe C.  That is possible.

#6 QueenFoxy

QueenFoxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

T o see if the problem is "Tablet Mode" click/tap on Settings in the Start Menu, System, then Tablet Mode.  Turn off Tablet mode and see if the problem continues.

Thank you Bleeping OF for this info.  It is very helpful.  

Glad your surgery is behind you and hope it was totally successful .  Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.  We can always wait for answers until you are well enough to provide them.  Again, I thank you.

#7 QueenFoxy

QueenFoxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

You can also click the notifications icon in the lower right side of your screen (near your clock) When the action center box pops up, you can see if tablet mode is enabled from there

8c7089c887.png

Thanks again, Joe C.  I think it was in tablet mode.  Last night, in my frustration, I called HP, my PC Manufacturer.  PC is still under warranty for at least 5 more months.  They fixed it (remotely) almost instantly.  I'm glad I called them,  They also did a complete tuneup on my machine and it is running much faster.  I thank you for your time and advice.  I did go thru yours and Bleeping OF's instructions and located everything.  May need that again one day.  I am sure I will be back.  Thanks a lot guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users