Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a virus travel thorugh local network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 personhood

personhood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hello,

At home I have a local network comprised of 5 computers, all windows 10, all members of the same "homegroup", with some folders shared.

One of the computers was infected by a virus (according to windows defender). I am going to format that pc and reinstall windows to get rid of the virus but my question is this:

Is it possible that the virus had traveled through shared folders/another way and infected other pcs? (assuming no file from the infected computer was run in the other ones, except maybe some documents)

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2017 - 05:55 PM.
Moved from AII to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

What type of virus was it? (PUP, Fake Security program, etc.)

A virus can go through a local network, but it depends on what type it was.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

Ransomware can scan and encrypt whatever data files it finds on computers connected in the same network with a drive letter including removable drives, network shares, and even DropBox mappings...if there is a drive letter on your computer it will be scanned for data files and encrypt them. US-CERT Alert (TA13-309A) advises that many ransomware infections have the ability to find and encrypt files located within network drives, shared (mapped network paths), USB drives, external hard drives, and even some cloud storage drives if they have a drive letter.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users