Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

-= whats best 1 inch or 4/3 dslr camera? =-

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thriftyarek888

thriftyarek888

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Looking to get in to professional photography and need budget compact camera. Which one do you recommend on budget of well under $1000. Thanks ARek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

Looking to get in to professional photography and need budget compact camera. Which one do you recommend on budget of well under $1000. Thanks ARek

Are you looking for a compact camera or a DSLR? DSLRs are typically not considered "compact cameras".

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Google:  Budget Compact Cameras

A DSLR is not a budget, compact camera  and would be a more likely choice for professional work, IMO.

Louis

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

For a budget compact camera take a look at the Canon Sureshot / Powershot range, I think they use 'Powershot' as the brand name now. Good reliable cameras and priced well.under $1000.

As Hamluis said above, compact cameras are not DSLRs, definitely not !  However you should be able to buy a more basic Nikon or Canon DSLR and still have change left out of your $1000. My own preference is for the Nikon but try hands on before you buy. How comfortable any camera feels in your hands is an important factor.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

I'm in love with the Canon line of DSLR but the cost is far beyond my meager budget.  To replace what I currently have in film DLR gear.  I don't have the $4,000.  USD to get close to what the range of lenses and selection of film speeds for SLR that I use.  Shutter reaction times and fast speeds in reduced lighting are tasks only top of the line can match but the optical use of depth of field seems to be beyond the reach of DSLR without a change in lenses, which most cost as much as the camera itself.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

My suggestion would be to forget DSLRs for the moment...and obtain a quality compact (I prefer Nikons, but Canons are as good or better, IMO).  Use it for at least a month to get the feel of what the camera will do and what it will not do...then take another look at your objective and the best (not easiest) way to achieve such.

"Professional photography" is a very generic goal..look around on the Web for what this might entail, how to start, etc.

I'm lazy and I prefer the compact...and I have no illusions of pleasing anyone other than myself with my attempts at making my cameras useful :).

Louis

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

As Hamluis said above, compact cameras are not DSLRs, definitely not !  However you should be able to buy a more basic Nikon or Canon DSLR and still have change left out of your $1000. My own preference is for the Nikon but try hands on before you buy. How comfortable any camera feels in your hands is an important factor.

You can get an entry level Canon DSLR with a lens and small memory card for about $500. That will leave you far short of what you would need for "professional level" photography, but would at least get one started in photography with a DSLR. To reasonably be able to start into even "entry level" professional type photography (i.e. start your own business with a reasonable revenue stream doing weddings, kids portraits, art shots that you sell, etc), you would likely need some additional lenses and an external flash (the built-in flash would likely be wanting for a lot of paid photography gigs, even basic stuff). And you likely would realistically want more than the entry level DSLR body as I am not sure the basic level DSLRs would offer enough manual shutter speed and aperture control (I have not researched currently available models to know...in the past, entry level models typically only had "full program" modes). And then you would need the "processing" equipment (i.e. at a minimum a computer to do editing of photos, etc...and ideally some external hard drives for storage...AND backup).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users