Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search results show uninstalled program in Windows search

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 panbox29

panbox29

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have the latest Windows 10 build, Creators Update. Win 10, x64 Home. Yesterday I uninstalled a program and was going to reinstall it. I did a search for the program after I uninstalled it and found entries for the uninstalled program. I could not left or right click these entries, they show up as "best results". I was able to remove device from history, but when I search again they reappear. I re-installed the same program in hopes it may clear this issue up, but now when I search for that newly reinstalled program, those same "best results" are there and I still cannot click them, left or right. I have to manually search for them in my installed programs list and run them from there. I did a disk cleanup, windows maintenance, booted into safe mode, ran a ccleaner in the hopes that it may be just old temp files, did a sfc /scannow in admin command prompt, which found no issues. In the hopes I didn't have to do a reinstall I did a system restore to the restore point just before the initial uninstall. It failed. So I used the next one after which succeeded, only to find that the issue was still there. I then did an "install in place" to try to fix this bug. The install in place was fairly fast, and finished ok. However, the issue still persist. In my fruitless efforts I worked with Windows online support staff where he remoted in and I showed him the issue. He was baffled. He wandered around aimlessly till he came up with the usual sort of response. User profile corruption. So, I took it upon myself to create a new admin account. The issue is gone in the new user account. However, most of my programs installed are not linking into the new admin account. So, in this situation, is there any idea as to what is happening in Windows Search? Do I go and just go with the new admin account, if so how do I replicate things into my new admin account so I can get access to everything that may not have permissions to run from another user? I'd rather just repair windows search, and now that I remember, I did do a new indexing of the drive as well. I have a Samsung SSD drive and I know that indexing affects the drive for more reads, so I put the index on my D drive which is a 1TB standard drive. Results in search were the same. The 2 entries are still there and unclickable, and stopping my accessing the newly installed version of that same program. Needless to say I am stumped. I'm a fairly astute tech and this one is boggling my brain. Any hints or ideas would help in this to give me an idea of how to proceed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

Boggles my brain, too.

What I'm proposing is a workaround, not a solution:

At least it will give you quick and easy access until you flesh out what's actually happened.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 panbox29

panbox29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Well, after abit of deliberation I reinstalled from USB with the latest build of Win10, x64 Home. The interface of the new iso is much different than the older versions. After the install I started to install programs and noticed that after an hour or so, the search option only found results for Windows programs or apps already installed! My mind boggled again. I did an sfc /scannow and it was ok. So I built another admin account, and this time it worked! The new admin account after the installed worked just fine. No hiccups, no search issues. So after all this I can only come to the conclusion that after the installation of the latest build in a clean install or even an install in place overtop of an older build, that the profile is corrupted somehow and building a new profile (or account I should say) fixes things.

I never trusted 'install in place' as a viable option to fix problems. Windows seem to use this option to update with these new large updates. "Threshold", "Anniversary", "Creators". I find after these large scale updates there is always something that gets lost in the translation so to speak. I think when Windows releases another large scale update I will just simply reinstall, rather than go through its install in place update method.

I used to think Windows 10 was alright. Just a sort of win7 and win8 hyrbrid, but now it is getting these odd bugs.

Just an update on this little bug in Windows that I hope my contact with Windows support hopefully brought to light at all.

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users