Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network adapter issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Abbey77

Abbey77

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:38 PM

Hi, I am having a problem with connecting to the internet wirelessly with my laptop. I have an HP pavilion, 17-f215dx, with windows 10.

It was working fine a day ago, but now suddenly won't connect wirelessly. I can connect via an Ethernet cable, but I need to get it to connect to the wifi again. This is what I have tried so far and haven't solved the problem yet.

-Turned airplane mode on and off
- updated the wireless adapter driver via the HP support site
- Ran HP recovery tool to update drivers
- Did a system restore and restored to a month ago

And I also went into the decive manager and I do not see the wireless adapter listed, even though I have updated the drivers for it.

Is there anything else I can try? Why can't I connect wirelessly anymore?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:31 AM

Just the Obvious thing to check first ?

If you have a Wifi switch ? ..... Check front / left side / right side....... or as my HPG6 has at F12 Key Wireless On/Off when tapped. 

If may be a Win 10 Driver issue , how long have you had Win10 and how long was it working prior to now ?

Even some latest Windows Updates may have changed something.

If its not showing in Device Manager , then it could be the Wifi Card.

Hopefully Someone will assist and find an answer.

Edited by Havachat, 30 April 2017 - 05:08 AM.

#3 Abbey77

Abbey77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

I don't have an actual wifi switch, but I can switch the wifi on and off with the airplane mode/f12 key. This unfortunately didnt fix my problem though. I had windows 8, but was able to upgrade to 10 for free. I think I upgraded to 10 about a year ago and everything was working fine until yesterday.

How can I tell if it's an issue with the wifi card??

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

If the Wifi Adapter is not detected in Windows it could either be the adapter failed or the recent Windows 10 Creators update caused the problem. In Device Manager click on the top most device of the tree, your PC, and select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

If the scan does not detect your Wifi Adapter you could rule out a hardware fault by booting a live linux DVD. Another option is to purchase a Wifi dongle similar to this one.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5520_TL-WN725N.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users