Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Codes 0x800106ba & 2147942404

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LaughingMutt

LaughingMutt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

Good'ay ~

If I may relate my experience, it may help others....

During a clean (new install){my fault, me bad :thumbsup: } of W2000 into my IBM 390e - after downloading SP4 - the attempt to download Windows Defender Beta 2 failed with the message to: "verify that you have sufficent privledges to start system services".

Clicking "Retry" a couple of times, the download proceeded and was accepted.

I knew of the GUI+ problem and had already installed the needed files.

Upon reboot, the Error Code 0x800106ba - "problem caused windows defender to stop" came up. Using Administrative Tools to manually start service came up with this error: 2147942402 - "system cannot find file requested".

I came to find, upon checking MS update site to check update history; Backround Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 had failed to load successfully in past. The latest version of Windows Installer had installed tho.

I "redownloaded" the above files, but Defender still would not boot/start.

Going back to the MS site, I located and downloaded W2000 Service Pack 4 Rollup 1.

Upon reboot, Windows Defender was recognized, opened, allowed updates and conducted first full scan with no problems. :flowers:

Somehow, the Rollup is not listed in AutoUpdate but is needed.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help in the past and I pray that this may help someone now - is the least I could do.

Respectfully,

LaughingMutt
[font=Comic Sans Ms]LaughingMutt[size=3][color=#FF0000]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users