Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prime95 Effects on Components

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

I am reading up on Prime95 to see if it is safe to use on my Laptops after applying Thermal Paste.  I know this is software, but the point is the effect on hardware, how safe is it and is it really needed?

I understand this may not be critical to most users, but some of use want to make sure we are keeping are hardware cool as possible, and sometimes I do run it quite hard.  I also understand that some CPU's run hotter than others, at least this has been my experience. 

Some of my laptops run a little hot, but probably not overly hot, as I'm not usually pushing them.  So as you see, don't really know if they are running as cool as they could or should be.  I've been using Artic Silver and have read all the info at their site, but still not convinced that 200 hours of use will make a difference or not, and if so, will running Prime95 actually speed this up as many have said?

Artic Silver Site Quote:

"Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired."

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

If this takes longer "without a fan" (as quoted above) then what good does running Prime95 do?  I thought the idea was to heat things up so that ArticSilver Material would bond the Heatsink to the CPU, and this bond (I would think) would be the object of all those 200 hours, and, (not mentioned how many) thermal cycles.

What the heck does "hours" have to do with anything, and why don't they mention heat at all?  I would think heat (as many have suggested on the www) would be the most important thing, including a few heat cycles along the way.

Please, anyone with experience with this I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

I have no experience of Arctic Silver as I personally am not convinced of the necessity of overpriced "thermal compounds" - but it seems fairly obvious to me that a heatsink mounted fast running fan will provide vibration to help the thermal compound to "settle" & that running prime 95 will provide heat to soften the compound to also help it to "settle". This "settling" ("optimising of the thermal matrix") will take time (hours) as the particles supposedly shuffle themselves around & will be helped by both vibration & heat. 

Running prime95 will do nothing to your hardware except make it hot - so as long as you monitor your temperatures while running it & shut the machine down before it overheats then running prime95 is "safe".

Edited by rqt, 30 April 2017 - 02:44 AM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

rqt, This is just for the sake of debate so please don't take it personally if I disagree with anything you are saying.  

I don't think this is an over priced Thermal Compound, but have not really looked around.  I bought two "Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste" and was only 14.30, so don't think that is all that pricey, do you?

I never considered the vibration of the fan so that's a good call, and your right, it should have been fairly obvious to me, wonder why they don't mention specifically at their site? albeit saying: "to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction" and This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink."  is a wonder to me?  People that are trying to prove their product in the Tech Industry should be sharper than that.  I can see where a fan would help in this situation, but still think Heat is the key and they don't really emphasize that at their site?  With the screws and sometimes spring loaded heat-sinks I would think that pressure with a little heat would be enough, if not plenty to Bed in the Heatsink.  I also don't see any studies they have done at their site but could have missed them, I will look again.

Thank you for the confirmation on running Prime95, I will do this on at least one of my computers to see if it makes a difference.  If it did make a difference, don't know how I would tell.  I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable would know how to do this but all I would know to do it look at the temps with similar programs running, or just at idle.  It seems to me the computer is constantly doing something in the background that I could not keep track of and therefore would not be able to make a good assessment of whether or not the Break-In is worth it or not.  I keep looking at the Temps and will try to get an average to assess this as best I can.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

" I bought two "Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste" and was only 14.30, so don't think that is all that pricey, do you?"

I am sure there are more expensive compounds than that, but as the stuff I use is about £4 (say $6 US) for a 25g tube - which lasts me almost indefinitely or until I lose it - then in comparison it is quite expensive- I was just trying to explain why I have no experience of Arctic Silver compounds..

However many people seem to believe that the more expensive compounds are absolutely necessary - & that is their choice to make.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

I see, thanks for your input!  I don't see much difference yet either.  Am going to run Prime95 now and see if that helps any.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users