Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode --missing--

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

I just did a repair install because i messed up something in my registry and kept getting the B.S.O.D
and was having problems getting in to safe mode.. The repair went well but still cant get safe mode to fully function.. After tapping f8 key and choosing safe mode the screen shows the drivers etc being loaded and then
after that at the top of the screen it shows the 0\disk 0 partition safemode etc screen etc.. but dosent go any further it dosent load up properly or completely can any one please help me to figure this out?

Thank You

RAY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

Does this mean that you can get into regular XP OK? Or are you limited to Safe Mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

Yes, and also, before i did the repair instalation I coulnt get through safe mode properly as well as not being being able to boot up to the xp operating system--- doing the repair intall now allows me to boot up to xp but the safe mode is the same - come to think of it when i tried to boot into safe mode after the repair installation and it failed, " wanted to make sure everything was ok " after that when i tried to reboot into xp my pc went back to the way it was BEFORE the repair instalation ( B.S.O.D ) so I then had to choose " last known good settings\ configuration that worked " option to get back into the X.P - O.S. Im just worried that I might need the safe mode in the future and not be able to access it. I just hope I didnt mess it up to bad. thank you for your help.....
RAY

Edited by jgweed, 07 September 2006 - 09:57 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

Is this a custom built system, or a major manufacturer's system (like Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway, eMachines, etc)?

I'm wondering if you've installed the appropriate drivers (motherboard/chipset, video, and network at a minimum).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

Hi John< its a dell pre installed xp. what started all the trouble was I saw a tweak that said i could change what the START menu button said so i followed the directions and got my pc messed up. I m not sure that doing a reinstallatiion would help and i really dont wanna do that anyways I just want the safe mode back without any troubles. And you can bet i wont go messing with the core programs anymore. Im not sure why the hell i felt i needed to change the start button text for in the first place!! just wanted to see if i could do it. Are you thinking i should try to reinstall all the drivers? Im pretty new to the pc thing so anyhelp is greatly appreciated

RAY

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

What did you use to do the repair install - the Dell cds that came with the computer, the Dell Restore partition or a Windows XP CD that was provided by Dell or one 5that was not provided by Dell?

#7 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

Hi!! yea its a Dell CD that says " operating system already installed on your computer" bascily its a re- instalation cd

thanx for all your help

RAY

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

You should have two options on that disk - full restore and repair install.

Sounds like what you really need is the full restore.

Had you not done the Dell repair install you might have been able to use Windows System Restore to reset your system state back to an operable condition. That's what it is designed to do.

I don't think it will work after the Dell repair install but it may be worth seeing if you can.

Access Windows System Restore by

click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.

See if there is a highlighted date from before you did the start menu tweak. If there is, select it and follow the directions on screen.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 September 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#9 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

As stated , at the time i did the Repair instalation I could not boot into the XP OS to do a restore nor could i get completely into safe mode to fix the problems. no " safe mode with networking" no nothing ! My only choice was to do either a clean install or repair. I just cant understand how safe mode isnt functioning fully after this repair install. I thought the repair would at least reload the very basics of windows at least enough to get into safe mode. One would think "or at least i did" that these bare bones drivers etc.. are\ would be installed from the " preparing to install windows " part of the instalation CD. I do have the drivers and utilities cd but im pretty sure thats just like sound device drivers etc. I wonder if doing SFC\scannow to check for missing or corrupt files would help? probley not huh that shoulda and probley was done with the repair.. I guess it cant hurt to check anyways if you can think of anymore ideas id sure be greatful but the last thing i wanna do is a fresh install.
Is there any way to find out what the processes are and the drivers \ devices used to boot into safemode? Or any system error logs or maybe an analisys to run to try and figure this out??

Thank You

RAY

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

If the I386 folder is on the Restore disk scannow might work.
You have nothing to loose by trying it.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

First, the tweaks that I know for the Start button involve editing the explorer.exe file. This is the file that makes your entire desktop appear when loaded by the operating system. A problem with it will cause problems everywhere!!!

I suggested the drivers because the BSOD is hardware related, and in my experience most of them are due to corrupt/bad drivers. The editing of explorer.exe changes that - and I'd advise, at a minimum, that you do a repair install. I don't know if the repair install will replace your copy of explorer.exe (if that is indeed the problem).

SFC.EXE works on protected system files, whereas the repair install works on all system files. Explorer.exe isn't a protected file since you can change it without having to overcome the file protection.

You can try extracting a copy of explorer.exe from your installation CD and using it to replace the one on your hard drive.

#12 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thanx for all your help i finally got it figured out and everything is fine now you guys ( and gals ) are the best
and what you do for people is a blessing to so many. id like to thank you for me and all the people you help who forget or just dont thank you themselves for what ever reason they may have. Give each other a pat on the back -- you all deserve it -- and may all your beer be cold

Thank You

- RAY -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users