Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Cameras 2mp on Network 18 total Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ron351

ron351

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

New here, just wondering if my setup is good or if I should split up my cameras on a different network on a 2nd router.

Or don't it make a difference affecting speed the way I have it set up.

Anyway here it goes.

I have Time Warner Cable 70Mbps service coming in on a Surfboard Modem/Router

Out of that I connect to a 24 port gigabyte switch

I have 14 2Megapixel cameras on the house connected to the 24 port switch.

I have 1 ethernet cable ran to the garage to another 9 port switch with 4-5 2Megapixel cameras connected to that on the garage

I have 1 ethernet cable ran to the Livingroom to a 9 port switch for livingroom devices PS4 PS2 NVR recorder for cameras and so on.

I have a Netgear Extender also connected to the livingroom switch

I have 2 Western digital MyCloud devices also in the 24 port switch.

If you can picture that mapped out by the way I put it, then it is how I set it up.

I am wondering if any speed would be better if I put another router coming out of the Surfboard and connect the 2nd router to a switch for only the cameras if that would get me better internet speed or network speed.

It does ok now, just curious if I should have my cameras set up any different then the way I have now.

I have seen where others mention putting cameras on a VPN or how ever they abbreviate it but not sure how all that works.

Or is my setup ok if you can visualize how I have it and is it ok the way it is?

I will attach a picture

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:29 PM

No mention of what is on the extender.  Your setup is just fine.  Sure you can complicate things, like use VLANs, but that would be applying large network configurations to a tiny network. Not something I would advise to do.

If you connect a second router in series not only will you have difficulty communicating with the cameras from the original network but you will just add latency to the cameras which is not a good thing.  If viewing from the internet you have double nat to deal with when doing port forwarding.

Again not something I would advise to do.  Best of luck

#3 ron351

ron351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

Yes VLAN is what I seen in other places mentioned. On the Extender it broadcasts wireless wifi and has connected devices like PS4 NVR for the cameras and PS2.

I just thought maybe if I put a 2nd router with different gateway and run cameras just on that and the main router on computers and game consoles it would devide the flow of traffic and get faster on the main network.

Guess if it isn't broke I shouldn't fix it.

Today I added a 3rd router in the garage so there is better wifi outside on the patios.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

configure added routers per this document.  You don't do double nat which messes with access on the local lan.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

Here's the deal.  You don't have enough equipment /large enough of a network to see any benefit to vlans or subnetting your network.  Vlans won't help with internet access/usage.  That won't change.

#5 ron351

ron351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Thank you I appreciate your replies and will look at the document.

I have in the past set extra routers to extend the network.

I also have had routers not on the internet network run cameras at the camper we had. I was able to view the cameras as a standalone router which was cool.

Thanks again

Ron

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

My question is what problem are you attempting to resolve?  Access on the network?  Access off the network?

Do the cameras stream to a DVR?

The easiest way to think about network equipment is to equate it to pipes.  A 24 port switch is like a funnel and has one pipe off of the switch and 23 on the switch.  If the 23 are just talking to each other than the speed of the switch may be a possible issue.  If the devices are talking to something not on the switch they are all using a part of that one line in and performance may be affected.  The more devices that talk to devices off the switch the more traffic on that one line to the rest of the world.

#7 ron351

ron351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

Kilroy I was just curious is all if internet browsing would do better the way I have it all set up. I do seem to browse ok but can tell if a family member is viewing a camera it bogs down some.

Yes the NVR does stream all 16 cameras to it in the livingroom on a cat5 cable.

It just seems sluggish on network to view the cameras on the laptop wireless for the most part.

The cameras play back ok just live viewing at 1920x1080 is sluggish a little

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

I think you need to document your network and post a picture of that so we can give you a better idea of how to connect things.  It can be just a simple Paint drawing, nothing complex.  From your description it sounds like something needs to be changed in the living room.

#9 ron351

ron351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:59 PM

Ok I will try a simple diagram might be easier Im sure to understand. It may take me a day or 2 but will, right now I have a busy 2 days installing cameras in a large apartment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users