Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General questions about the feasibility of hosting a website on an older PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

Hey, I was just wondering, if I were to create a simple personal website without much traffic to it, would I be able to host it for free (apart, of course, from the Internet & electricity bill and other misc. expenditures) on my older computer from home?

I remember when I was a kid that some freinds of mine hosted their CS 1.6 servers on their dad's unused computer. They never shut it down, so the game server was always up. Up to 30 people from our neighbourhood could connect to the server simultaneously at any time and play together. I guess, I'll be trying to do something similar, but with hosting a simple website rather than a CS 1.6 server.

I want to have complete control of my website and host it from my home on my old computer. I am not particularly interested whether or not my website would be vulnerable to attacks or power outtages.

Is such a thing possible or should I just forget about it?

My PC specs roughly are:
.AMD Semprom 2800+ CPU @1.6Ghz single-core
.80GB HDD
.2GB DDR1 RAM @400Mhz dual-channel (the max that the motherboard supports)
.ATI Radeon AGP Video Card @128MB
.Cooler Master regular cooling system
.Windows XP Service Pack 3 32-bit OS. The whole system runs on about ~150MB of RAM & ~150Mhz of CPU, so I've got plenty of computing resources to spare for hosting my simple website.
Thank you!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

Most Internet service providers (cable and DSL) block port 80 (http) traffic. If your game server runs on a different port # then it might be possible. Whether it will run on the PC you have, depends on the requirements of the game server software you're running. I'd recommend putting the webserver on an isolated DMZ network so if it gets hacked they don't have a way to access your home network & PCs. You should be able to set that up in that in your home firewall/router.

Edited by Smsec, 29 April 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Wow, thanks for your reply, but it's amazing how little of it I understood.:lmao: And btw, I want to host my own website on my older computer, not a game server - that was just a reference to supplement the details of my question.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 29 April 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#4 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

Ok, not a gameserver. To run host your own Website you'll need to install Webserver software. I think Microsoft had a lightweight webserver that supported up to 10 connections. However, it hasn't been updated with security patches in years. It would likely be hacked within a day. When your server gets hacked its not just you that's at risk. Hacked web servers are frequently used to serve up malware or illegal copies of software etc. I don't recommend running a Webserver on XP.

Installing a Linux software version like Ubuntu Server would be a more stable and secure option but you'd have to learn a bit about Linux. It's not that hard to learn but it will take some effort.

There are lots of cheap web hosting options and some ones free too. You might Google for "cheap hosting". 

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

Thank you!:)

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

Bump_sign.jpg

#7 B787Register

B787Register

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

you could use xampp

#8 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Yes, you can host web sites on an old computer no problem.  It is when you encounter heavy traffic is the problem and sometimes the ISP is against client web hosting too.  This is because they provide a service and usually for a fee.  Some ISPs do have client web space but that is old knowledge and I don't know if they still do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users