Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added Sp2 Now Winsev Not Found

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 downsdway

downsdway

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

I tried to use an older Dell dimension 3400 (P4 /1.6G) with XP home as a radio, but I got the error message that I needed to have SP2 installed to update the windows media player to get ESPN radio. I followed the download instructions and everything seemed to go well and then was instructed to reboot and that is when the problems began.

I rebooted as instructed and the computer began to cycle around and around. The screen shows the XP home logo and then goes black for awhile and then quickly a blue screen appears and flashes an error message, I have let it run through many times trying to write it down exactly but what I have been able to catch is something like this:

unable to locate component, application has failed to start because winserv was not found, and then it says something about application may fix this problem but the whole message does not fit on the screen, so this is all I have.

I have tried to boot into safe mode but I can't seem to get it to do that either, I am not the most tech savy guy so any help or suggestions you may to offer is much appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hi downsdway.
See if the article below helps at all.

Stop: c0000135 "Unable To Locate Component" and winsrv was not found

Edited by HitSquad, 06 September 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#3 downsdway

downsdway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

#4 downsdway

downsdway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

HitsSquad,

The Article address' exactly the problem I am experiencing but when I hit F8 at start up and bring up the windows advanced options menu I do not see the option for "Disable automatic restart on system failure" as described in the article, am I missing something or could it be listed as something else? I tried all the options and it continues to cycle around and around.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

The disable restarting in safe mode will be there only if you have SP2 installed.

Hitting the "Pause/break" button may let you freeze on the bsod so you can read it.

#6 downsdway

downsdway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:03 PM

Ok the pause/break does not freeze the screen but I am 99% sure the message is the one described in the article posted by HitSquad.

And if I do not have the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and then I did not sucesfully load in SP2 any ides what is going on and what I might try to it to boot up in any fashion? Thanks as always for your help

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

You may want to try a repair install of WindowsXP using these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

This should allow you to get into Windows.

Also, you might want to look into "slipstreaming" your current WindowsXP disk with SP2.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 downsdway

downsdway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

Thanks John,

Since this computer had very little on the hard drive this sounds like the way to go, I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW your aviator is very similar to a guy I know from a Springsteen board.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

Well, he's an imposter! :thumbsup: Actually, I use the avatar because I'm a bit visually handicapped. Oh, and I'm from Joisey (exit 140) :flowers:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

I'm from Joisey (exit 140) smile.gif

And you actually admit that in public?

:thumbsup:

#11 downsdway

downsdway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

Well, he's an imposter! :thumbsup: Actually, I use the avatar because I'm a bit visually handicapped. Oh, and I'm from Joisey (exit 140) :flowers:

In reality he's a great guy and Hugh music fan of all styles..but that's another thread.

I followed the instructions on the article you posted and it's back up and running, I need to get it back online as the network info was lost but no biggie that's one that even this computer illiterate novice can handle.

Much Thanks for helping me out, I just wanted to be able to use it as a radio as the warehouse here at work won't get regular radio in very well and then I screwed the whole thing up and it wasn't worth putting any $$ into. So Thanks again. :trumpet:

Another Bleeping success story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users